Single Set Challenge: Mixels, Series 7

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Single Set Challenge: Mixels, Series 7

Postby darksyntax » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:18 pm

My Single Set Challenge builds from the Series7 Mixels.

First up is the MCPD.

Left to right:
Commander 41554 d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6Y d6Y
Barricade 41555 d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B d6B
Suppressor 41556 d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra

Thoughts:
- The frame that I got from 41554 is totally not the frame I set out to build when I laid the pieces out, but I really like the core and it's not badly outfitted.
- 41555 is THE crap MIxel set. There have been some crap sets, but this one is king. That said, I like the quad I was able to pull together and the big windowbars look better than they should. (Yes, I stole 2 technic pins from 41556 for the guns... sue me). The center windowbars are held in by two manipulator arms so you can detach it and have the arms hodl something else if you want.
- I knew I wanted to make a chickenwalker from the technic liftarms in 41556 and the body is pretty simple, but what finished this for me is that little chin gun. Stupid simple, but I really like it. Too many technic pins, but you can use them elsewhere as gun barrels.

Next are the Medivals.

Left to right:
Headsman 41557 d6W d6W d6Rh d6Rh d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6Y
Redoubt 41558 d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6Y d6G
Warden 41559 d6W d6W d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra d6B

Thoughts:
- 41554 is another version of what has become my perennial "pod" frame (ref 41538 and 41529). I like the pod shape and it's crazy how much they look alike having been made from VERY different parts. The SNOT stack inside and the arm configurations in all three is VERY different.
- From the parts in 41555 I knew I wanted to try for a quad, but it was much more difficult to finish than I'd expected. There are quite a few single-stud connections. Give the parts list it looks better than it has a right to, and there's a a small station too: a little bunker emplacement.
- I struggled with this despite a promising parts list (this was the Nixel set of the tribe). I probably could've made a better chickenwalker, but I really wanted to squeeze a humanoid biped from it. This frame is pretty meh, but it has two sniper rifles that fit into the hands and the rifles could be rebuilt with the leftover pcs into someother gun or system and the wings could be swords for a d6Rh system.

And last are the Mixies.

Left to right:
TBD 41560 d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6Y d8Rr
TBD 41561 d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B
TBD 41562 d6W d6W d6Ra d6Ra d6B d6G

Thoughts:
- Even with a few 2x4 plates, 41560 has a good parts list. I like the arms and legs on my SSC, but I just couldn't get the body to work. This is my concession. I think you could get a lot of loadout options from this set: rework the d6Rd gun into a d6Ra of some sort and you can clip the 1x2 claw plates into the hand clips for a d6Rh .
- 41561's a quad right out of the bag. I tried for something else. I felt this set suffered from a lack of bricks. Not a highpoint of my SSC attempts, but it's a frame.
- As shown by Lorc, this is a good pod frame nearly as is. I wanted to see what else this set had to offer. The legs aren't the greatest on a chub-like frame, but it works and I like the bow like sniper rifle.

General thoughts:
Series 7 has the highest parts counts across the whole 9 sets of any series to date making them an unbelievable deal compared to other sets. And while some of the sets weren't the best for SSC's, they certainly have good MFZ parts. I was personally happy to see a high count of 1x1 and 1x2 plates/tiles in addition to good amounts of handles/clips, balljoints, slopes, and SNOT pcs. Sadly though there's a distinct lack of jumper plates.

C&C solicited as always!
darksyntax
Mod Team

Re: Single Set Challenge: Mixels, Series 7

Postby CmdrRook » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:38 pm

I don't like to throw the word "outstanding" around a lot, so when I say you managed to pull and outstanding group of frames out of what you and Lorc both considered "difficult" sets, I mean it. I happen to like the police-quad immensely, and I'll have to pick up some of that tribe if and when my area gets any. I see great things for the future of my CARG faction. 41554 comes with TWO frying pans? Amazing!
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby EvilGod » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:43 am

I know i have a dirty mind, but i struggle to use the round brick with two studs from 41562, because it always looks like breasts to me :roll:

and: great SSCs as always
EvilGod
Talkative

Postby Atavism » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:20 am

I adore the Barricade. Love the way you utilized the bar pieces.
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:13 am

Those are all outstanding SSCs.

I loved the Barricade too. Might try this concept later.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Lorc » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:11 pm

Wow, it bowls me over what you achieved with Busto. That you managed to get any frame out of that boxy jointless set is remarkable enough. That it ended up looking so cool is mind-blowing. Those crowd-catchers look sweet as anything, and actually make me think about buying more of the set so I'll have enough of that piece.

I'd be curious to see the underside of the frame - I can't make out whether the connections are single-stud or sandwiched.
Lorc
Talkative

Postby darksyntax » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:11 pm

Thanks for the kind words, all!

Lorc wrote:I'd be curious to see the underside of the frame - I can't make out whether the connections are single-stud or sandwiched.

The underside. Single stud connection, but the tiles help hold the weight and keep the single stud aligned for maximum clutch. And a full round anti-stud has more clutch than a normal anti-stud made up of three of four small touch points.

A lower angle close up. You can see the tiles on the legs protruding from under the 4x4 plate.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby Hackjob » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:02 am

Great stuff Darksyntax! Good work on the SSCs as usual, I'm having a hard time deciding which I like best, maybe the chickenwalker from the Mixies. I really appreciate your rewiews, you have convinced to get some of these sets myself.
-Hackjob

Here's more: my Flikr
Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Postby DRevD » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:59 pm

Classy stuff man, as always
DRevD
Been Around The Block

Postby Teppudama » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:49 am

Very handy reviews, I will be looking for these myself!
Teppudama
Newcomer

Postby Jagarmot » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:23 am

Great builds !

I have a question regarding Redoubt 41558 : How is the 'turret' connected to the body ?
I'm puzzled... Maybe the right question is : How the legs are connected to the core ? :D
Jagarmot
Talkative

Postby darksyntax » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:26 pm

Thanks, all!

Jagarmot wrote:Great builds !
I have a question regarding Redoubt 41558 : How is the 'turret' connected to the body ?
I'm puzzled... Maybe the right question is : How the legs are connected to the core ? :D

Thanks! It's super simple. The bottom is a one stud connection, but the tiles help keep it steady. It's very much like my PaM Ghosts.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby Jagarmot » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:27 pm

I'll repost here :
Thanks for the breakdown. This is a great building tip for a simple&cheap (yep good-looking) quad base.
Jagarmot
Talkative

Return to Frame Designs