Just some Random Frames

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Re: Just some Random Frames

Postby Artasid » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:40 pm

FLUFF

Our poliminary findings of the Gnatoid were quite incorrect. About 42 hours ago, two of our researching Spy Drones were documenting a Gnatoid in it's envorionment, however, due to some mechanical glitch in one of the drone's systems, it did not properly conceal itself, and was thereby discovered. The reaction of the Gnatoid was unexpected. The following images were taken from our secondary Spy Drone

ImageOops... Caught
ImageMid Change
ImageRun Away!!

As you can see, the Gnatoid is not just a simple crawling insect as we had initially suggested. It appears that should it encounter a threat, the Gnatoid (or under the Ijad's influence) ejects the weight of it's systems and changes into a design capable of quick bursts of speed to escape. More research is still being conducted.

END FLUFF

VitorFaria wrote:Those legs remind me of the suspension system of real life mars exploration rovers. If you added small Kre-o wells on their tip that would make a great rover frame of sorts.

I actually do not own any Kre-o parts, but it might be something to consider. Thank you VitorFaria.

AnnoyedZebra wrote:Without the fluff its a little weird but with the fluff its great!

Lol, I try to provide some background for my builds to make it a more believable concept. Some of my fluffs are much better than others, but so are the builds in general.

I admit however, I'm not sure how this development will effect gameplay (if at all) it was just something I discovered after I made the Gnatoid, and was tweeking around with the legs to get a better stance.

Ahh, the rewards of experimenting.... :geek: lol
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:53 am

I really like that small spy drone! Really clever use of that droid torso.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby gusindor » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:38 pm

Interesting design, I really like the fluff!
Artasid wrote:I admit however, I'm not sure how this development will effect gameplay (if at all)

You could give it some guns, and once those get blown off unfold the legs to represent the new d8G from having no ranged weapons.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Artasid » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:30 pm

gusindor wrote:Interesting design, I really like the fluff!
Artasid wrote:I admit however, I'm not sure how this development will effect gameplay (if at all)

You could give it some guns, and once those get blown off unfold the legs to represent the new d8G from having no ranged weapons.

hmm... :idea: Lightbulb!! Thanks gusindor, I'll have to try that.

VitorFaria wrote:I really like that small spy drone! Really clever use of that droid torso.

Thanks VitorFaria, to be honest, it was just a throwaway build. I was attempting to make another random frame from it, but it just wasn't coming together as I had hoped. But it seemed like a decent build for a drone or IO aces. I'll work with it some more.

Here's my newest random. I happened across this torso design by accident, and decided to construct a frame from it.

ImageAndir
Andir: d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd Shoulder Cannons, d6B Shield.

Again, hope you all enjoyed and I eagerly await any and all comments, questions, concerns ect.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby gusindor » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:19 am

That's a very unique torso design, I'm curious about how it attaches to the rest of the body.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Artasid » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:55 am

gusindor wrote:That's a very unique torso design, I'm curious about how it attaches to the rest of the body.

Short answer... IT DOESN'T!!!!

AHHHHHH!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

lol, just kidding :lol: Although I will be honest to admit that the connection is not as strong or as sturdy as I would like it to be, and I am still working to correct this issue. However, until then, I shall provide a breakdown of it's current build

ImageAndir's Torso Parts Breakdown
Parts Breakdown

ImagePartial torso breakdown
Rear partial breakdown

ImageAndir partial breakdown
Torso and Legs

ImageAndir Torso connection
Torso connection to legs

Again, as I said, it's not the greatest connection for a frame, and I am still adjusting the design, so feel free to shout ideas out please.

Hope this helped :)
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Mantisking » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:03 am

Wow. That's pretty slick!
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Here's my newest random. I call these the Eeeks! Not much in terms of fluff on these guys, other than I was trying to find a unique usage of the Star Wars Battledroid torso

ImageEeeks
LEFT: d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra Dual Missile Pods, d6B Rear Armor Plate
RIGHT: d6Rd d6Rd Pulse Cannon, d6Y Advanced Radar Array, d6G Rear Thruster Tube.

Enjoy! And I eagerly await all comments, criticisms and questions that you wish to share, as always.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Artasid » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:39 am

FLUFF! (Queue gameshow music)

Gots a lot more to show today on this newest post to 'Just some Random Frames'!

Todays entries comes from... How do you pronounce that?

Ghtpppth? Are you sure? Well, anyway, Please welcome our first guest, Mr. Croak!

ImageMr. Croak!
Mr. Croak!: d6Rd d6Rd Mucus Sprayer, d6Rh d6Rh TongueLash Whip, d6B Smoothskin Shield

This ribbit-y frame enjoys moonlight walks by the pond, eating exotic insects and making strange throatily noises at night. It often carries a Mucus Sprayer, protects itself with a Smoothskin Shield, and tends to feed using it's spiked tongue whip.

Our next contestant dreams of walking tall with the big boys, even though it is short and stocky, but that don't make it a pushover, please welcome Shogun Shell!

ImageShogun Shell
Shell: d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd Dual Double lasers, d6B Top Mounted Armor Dish

They say slow and steady wins the race, and I'm sure Shogun Shell here has the race in the bag! And just to clinch the victory, Shogon Shell here does pack some serious heat with those double laser barrels.

Our final guest is a bit of an oddity. Its torso was inspired by TheSiegeHowitzer's Cyclops Frame, but the amount of robo claws used for it's construction add to it's uniqueness. Please give it up for Claw Heavy!

ImageClaw Heavy
C.H.: d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd Dual Wrist Cannons, d6Ra d6Ra Artillery Chaingun, d6Y Crystalized Scanner.

Claw Heavy here wants everyone to know that anyone's ideas can inspire others, so please keep an open mind and keep on building!

That's all the time we have today folks. I hope you enjoyed todays episode of....

JUST SOME RANDOM FRAMES!!!!!

End Fluff.

Lol, sorry about that, felt like being a bit weird for these newest additions. Please enjoy and as always, I eagerly await any and all comments, concerns, questions and insults you wish to share.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Raedien » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:59 am

Cool seeing your designs over time. The core on the Andir is pretty creative.
Raedien
Chatty

Postby VitorFaria » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:48 am

Shougun Shell is my favorite of this bunch, simple yet effective. Love how you implemented those "Mixels style feet" in a way that they look natural and complements the build.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:34 pm

FLUFF

ImageSteelGraves
LEFT: d6Rh d6Rh Drill Arm, d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra Dual Missile Racks, d6Y Thermal Scanner
RIGHT: d6Rd d6Rd Gauss Cannon, d6B d6B Dual Side Armor Plates, d6Y Thermal Scanner

These frames were once simple Industrial Mining Frames, tediously mining precious ores and minerals to supply the colonies, but when conflict between the Colonists and the Solar Union escalated to war, the Solar Union officials, managed to commandeer several labor frames and had them converted to be used as a Garrison force until their authority could be held over the territory. During one conflict between the Colonists and the SU, two of these frames were lured into an unstable mine shaft, where the Colonist Rebel set off an explosive trap that was meant to destroy these frames, but instead collapsed the weakened mine around them. Using a combination of drilling equipment and sheer force, these two frames broke free from their entrenchment and continued their conflict with the Colonists. A Colonist who had witnessed the frames breakout stated:

"We might have done better if we encased them in a grave of solid steel..."

Since that time, these frames have adopted the name "SteelGrave", because it might just take a grave of steel to keep them down.

END FLUFF

I really really REALLY like these ones, and I hope you do too. If you have any thoughts, comments, questions or concerns you wish to share, I eagerly await them.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Shades_Corvid » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:02 pm

I like these a lot but my favorite part is the axe feet.
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Artasid » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:41 pm

Shades_Corvid wrote:I like these a lot but my favorite part is the axe feet.

lol, thanks Shades_Corvid. 8-) The axe feet were actually a last minute addition to give the legs a bit more character. I'd like to think the pilots would use them like plowshares to breakup the topsoil before they begin drilling, or something like that.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Artasid » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:54 pm

For todays addition of Just Some Random Frames, we begin with a riddle:

What's Round, has 8 legs, and is very strange?

If you said 'a spider' you would be correct... if someone ELSE was asking this question, but in reality, the answer (at least in this case) would be my newest random frame:

ImageStrange Frame With Chub
ImageStrange Frame 2 With Chub

I went a little crazy with this one, and may be pushing the size limitations, but you know what? This was meant for fun, so WHO CARES??!?!?!?! :lol:

Anyway, many of you out there know that the Ijad Behemoth is one of my favorite designs to build:

ImageIjad Behemoth white
ImageIjad Behemoth Black

So I decided to kinda tweek the Behemoths massive back hump and try to use it as a centerpiece of this strange frame of mine. But in case the earlier build was a little too extreme for you, here's a more realistic build with the same spherical torso,

ImageStrange Frame Alt build
ImageStrange Frame Alt build view2
Alt: d6B Spine Armor, d6Y d6Y Dual Laser Antenna, d6G Extra Legs, d8G No Ranged Weaponry

This alternate build kinda reminds me of a Lunatick crossbred with an Ijad Behemoth... Hmmm... and yes, in case you can't tell from the pics, the main torso is completely spherical, unlike the Behemoth which has a section missing to allow to build the rest of the frame, but I digress.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed and I eagerly await any and all comments, questions, insults, ect. as always.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:48 am

I really like how you're always willing to experiment, Artasid.

There's a whole radial frame niche that have been barely touch upon. That's definitely a great exemple of it.

The idea of an untipable frame with redundant legs is also something that should be explored more!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:28 pm

VitorFaria wrote:I really like how you're always willing to experiment, Artasid.

Thank you VitorFaria, experimenting is actually one of the many joys I have with LEGOs. Just by absently sticking pieces together sometimes creates unique and wonderful ideas, and I hardly ever let them go to waste in the off chance they provide a true treasure build.

It was just such experimentations that I came up with this latest build. For lack of a better name at the moment, I call these, Oreos! (Yes! like the cookie!)

ImageOreos
YELLOW: d6Ra d6Ra Railgun, d6B Shield, d6Y d6Y Dual Tracking Antennas
BLACK: d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd Double-Stuffed Shootas, d6G Jetpacks

I was reorganizing my collection of pieces when I came across 2 round jumper plates and 2 anti-stud plate. I ended up putting them together to form an anti-stud base in which these frames were built upon. The center torso reminded me of an Oreo cookie (with the white plates as the cream center). An interesting build all together.

Hope you enjoyed and as always, I eagerly await any comments, concerns, questions, demands ect. you wish to share.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:40 am

I came across 2 round jumper plates and 2 anti-stud plate. I ended up putting them together to form an anti-stud base in which these frames were built upon.

Interesting. How does that work?
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:38 pm

VitorFaria wrote:
Interesting. How does that work?

I may not be able to explane it correctly. In fact, I'm not even sure I used the right terminology of the pieces, so to better understand what I meant, here's a parts breakdown, and step by step instructions. You can click on the pics to go to my Flickr Page where I have a bit more details for each step, but I'm sure the pics pretty much sums it up. lol

ImageOreo Frame Parts Breakdown

ImageOreo Frame Build Step 1
ImageOreo Frame Build Step 2
ImageOreo Frame Build Step 3
ImageOreo Frame Build Step 4
ImageOreo Frame Build Step 5
ImageOreo Frame Build Step 6
ImageOreo Frame Build Step 7
ImageOreo Frame Build Step 8
ImageOreo Frame Build Step 9
ImageOreo Frame Build Step 10
ImageOreo Frame Build Step 11
ImageOreo Frame Build Step 12
ImageOreo Frame Build Step 13
ImageOreo Frame Build Step 14
ImageOreo Frame Build Complete

This is just the main build with no systems. I have tons of Mixel sockets and ball joints so it seemed rather easy for me to incorporate systems later. Some pieces can be substituted, like using a 2x2 single stud jumper square if you don't have the round one. Also, I hope you don't mind me using boring black and gray for this build, but they were the best to show up when I took the pics. I also know that these legs are slightly different than the two previous Oreos I posted, but all in all, the slight differences don't really mean anything, the build is generally the same.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy and I am eager to hear your thoughts, comments, questions ect. as always.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Artasid » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:21 am

I know it's after Halloween and all, but this frame is kinda creepy. I was actually inspired by the quad legs darksyntax bricked with his PaM-10/29q "Panda-Q". The only concern I had with his design was that the 2x1 clip plates only had a 1 stud connection to the travis. I replicated his quad and I just had a problem with the stability of the connection (whether is was either me, or some defect in the pieces, I don't know.) After a bit of tinkering, I made a slightly more sturdy base, and ended up combining it with the torso design from my earlier random, the Andir. This is the result:

ImageAracnoidtron
Aracnoidtron: d6Ra d6Ra Missile Turret, d6Y d6Y Dual Antenna

I will admit however it does slightly push the size limits, but I think it'll work out ok.

And here's an additional bonus! A three man company, I call them the Red Caps!

ImageRed Caps
LEFT: d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd Dual Plasma Charges, d6Y Tracking Antenna, d6G Leg Thrusters
CENTER: d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh Dual Crushers, d6Y Tracking Antenna, d8G No Ranged Weaponry
RIGHT: d6B Armored Shield, d6Y d6Y Tracking Antenna & Comm Relay, d6G Leg Thrusters, d8G No Ranged Weaponry

With these, I tried to give a rather familiar, but at the same time, unique design, and I think I may have done that, but I would like to hear your opinions. I particularly like the center one with it's oversized arms/hands. It kinda gives it a BIG-O quality that is rather impressive along my currently level of building skill.

I hope you enjoyed and as always, I eagerly await any comments, questions, threats, concerns, dreams, thoughts and insults you would like to share 8-)
Artasid
Old Guard

PreviousNext

Return to Frame Designs