Just some Random Frames

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Re: Just some Random Frames

Postby Artasid » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:54 am

VitorFaria wrote:Clearly a single shot banana!

Thank you for that VitorFaria. I actually fell out of my chair lmao with that idea. :lol:

Jagarmot wrote:I love this thread. "Just some random frames" but each and every time there are pictures posted here, I find something interesting or inspiring.

The deployable claw on the A07-Styltz is great : it's both good-looking and functional.

I back the "single shot banana" motion as well ! :D

Thank you Jagarmot. I actually started this thread as a place to share some possible tablescraps that might be worth keeping, showing off, or just for the heck of it. I thought it might be easier to post a bunch of pics on one thread then it would be to create a new thread for each pic. This way I wont annoy the other members with a new thread every other day.

Anyway, I have some new randoms to share. First up is the Tur-Shells.

ImageTur-Shells
RED: d6Rd d6Rd Direct Top Cannon, d6B d6B Dual Armor Shell Plates, d6G Quad Legs
GREEN: d6B d6B Dual Armor Shell Plates, d6G Quad Legs, d8G No Ranged Weaponry

This was an idea for a turtle style Ijad frame. I think I have seen other turtle shape frames somewhere before, and I thought I'd give it a shot, although these might not be my greatest attempt. I like how the front of the frame slopes and angles out from the central 'eye', but I feel the rest of the build is somewhat lacking.

Or it could be my imagination. I'll let you be the final judge on these.

Next is another group of randoms I call Yellow Bellies. You'll see why they are called this.

ImageYellow Bellies
No Systems

These are a bit of a hodgepodge of different builds, primarily based around VitorFarias, Lockon design, with a few others mixed in. I like the range of articulation these have, but I'm a bit disappointed how disproportionate it seems. Again, this was attempt at something new, and hopefully might conjure up ideas for those who might be interested.

Lastly, we have perhaps my favorite of my latest randoms: Rumbles!

ImageRumbles
LEFT: d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd Dual Direct Missile Tubes, d6B Armor Plate
CENTER: No Systems, strictly a basic core unit
RIGHT: d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra Dual Railguns, d6Y Transmission Array.

These actually started as an experiment with the tabs and lampholders (used for the hip/leg connections) And the frame just kinda built itself from that.

ImageRumble side view

I am extremely surprised at how sturdy it turned out and it even allows for a bit of motion.
ImageRumble Dance

And I was even more surprised by it's size. Darn near as tall as a standard Chub
ImageRumblin with Chub

At first I wanted to give the Rumbles their own tread, but I figured 'what the hey!' So I posted them here. Some of my other randoms have gotten their own threads, primarily due to the fact that I felt that that particular frame's design might be worth more attention (Like my Convaliers, if anyone remembers...) These may get their own, with a bit of backstory/fluff, but I'll see where this goes first.

Hope you enjoyed and again, as always, I eagerly await your comments, insults, thoughts, quirks, anything lol.
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Atavism » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:16 am

I like turtles. :D

I feel like that design has a lot of potential. There's lots of space in that body to install systems.
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:33 am

The Tur-Shells are my favorites of this batch, I really feel like trying a similar torso but on a chicken walker instead later!

About the yellow guys, I wonder if you could move the front torso plate upwards a little, I believe this would fix the weird proportions, but maybe it's just a matter of taste.

Oh, when I first saw the Rumble dance pic, I thought they were merged in a combined mode! With the side guys becoming shoulders and arms for the middle guy! :lol:
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:25 pm

The Tur-shells have that mechanical/organic anime style to them that I think works well here for an ijad design. I'm not sold on the side panels yet and there might be a better way to load them out, but the legs complement the upper body shape well.

The Rumbles fit nicely in the "lightweight weapons platform" category. Load them up and they look like terrible death machines, but stripped of their armament they're basically useless. I enjoy that style, it's a very practical take. It reminds me of the Earthsiege series mechs, which is not a bad thing.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:19 pm

Blorf wrote:The Tur-shells have that mechanical/organic anime style to them that I think works well here for an ijad design. I'm not sold on the side panels yet and there might be a better way to load them out, but the legs complement the upper body shape well.

VitorFaria wrote:The Tur-Shells are my favorites of this batch

Atavism wrote:I like turtles. :D

I feel like that design has a lot of potential. There's lots of space in that body to install systems.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am genuinely surprised that the Tur-Shells have received such praises. I thought of it as mostly a throw-away tablescrap, but I'll have to rethink this based on these kind of responses.
Just wow... Thank you all.

VitorFaria wrote:I really feel like trying a similar torso but on a chicken walker instead later!

A turtle with chicken legs? :idea: That's an idea! Think I'll try and build that.

ImageTur-Shell Alternate Leg Variant
Leg Alt: d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd Dual Blast Cannons, d6Ra d6Ra Railgun, d6Y Scope Sensor.

Inspired by your comment VitorFaria, I decided to tweek my previous green Tur-Shell and gave it walker legs. I think this one is a slight improvement, but I'll let you all decide for yourselves.

Hope you Enjoyed. And comments, questions, thoughts and whatnots are eagerly awaited!
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby VitorFaria » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:10 am

Haha, you were faster than me! :D

Really nice take on it, it looks really finished and detailed, but still have a lot of uniqueness and style!

Still gonna give it a shot sooner or later, thou.

Blorf wrote:The Rumbles fit nicely in the "lightweight weapons platform" category. Load them up and they look like terrible death machines, but stripped of their armament they're basically useless. I enjoy that style, it's a very practical take. It reminds me of the Earthsiege series mechs, which is not a bad thing.

Going a bit off topic here, but I would like to spread the news that with some tweaks you can run Earthsiege 2 straight on the machine on Windows 10, without any kind of simulation or other pesky tricks! Tried that last month and had a blast, it's surprising how well that thing aged despite being 20 years old!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:29 am

Have any of you heard of the downloadable game called "Gladiabots'? I was recently introduced to it (last night) and I am kinda interested in it.

You control a squad of quad frames (mechs) to complete objectives, whether it is to score more points that the other team, or to simply wipe out the opposing mechs. But you don't control the mechs directly. Instead you program them with A.I. sequences and you let them run on their own. An interesting twist of action and puzzle.

Anyway, after an initial playthrough, I decided I was going to brick the mech from the game. What REALLY surprised me about it, is that it has a somewhat similar torso shape as my Tur-Shells, so it wasn't all that difficult.

ImageGladiabot

This currently has no systems, unless you count the quad legs, but it does have enough hardpoints for systems once I get around to making them. I am a bit disappointed in the legs though. I tried to keep true to the design, but currently, this is the best I can offer for the moment. But I will make changes once I can acquire the correct pieces.

Hope you enjoyed. Comments, questions, insults, threats, and dreams are eagerly awaited. :lol:
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:28 pm

Those look really tough! I'm pretty sure I would count those inverted plates as d6B d6B
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:21 am

Ok, here's another random frame that I just happen to make a full company of. Enjoy

First, here's the basic core unit with no systems.
ImageRyde Front
ImageRyde Rear

Now: The Company known simply as Rydes. Been having a few really rough days the past week, so not a lot of work in terms of fluff for these guys. Sorry

ImageRyde Company Group

ImageRyde Soldiers
Soldiers: d6Rd d6Rd Chest Cannon, d6B Armored Dish, d6Y Tracking Beacon, d6G Exhaust Pipe, d8Rr Black Hand-Thrown Grenades SSR

ImageRyde Scout
Scout: d6Y Tracking Beacon, d6Y Frontal Camra, d6G Glider Wings, d6G Exhaust Pipe, d8G No Ranged Weaponry

ImageRyde Brawler
Brawler: d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh Dual Armor Shredders, d6B Anti-Artillery Top Plate, d6G Exhaust Pipe, d8G No Ranged Weaponry.

I kinda like the steampunk feel of these guys, but I hope you enjoyed as well. And I can post a breakdown for any who requests it.

As always, I eagerly await your comments, thoughts, questions, threats, concerns ect.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Artasid » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:48 am

Ok, I admit, the Rydes were a bit of a flop. But from the ashes comes the birth of the new. Somewhat inspired by the Rydes torso design, I decided to tweek it a bit and came up with something somewhat unique. (Well, unique for me at any case)

It offers the stability of a quad frame, but the familiar mobility of a biped. I present, the Kib402 Kickback!

ImageKiB402-Kickback
KiB402: d6Rd d6Rd Combat Rifle, d6B Shield Plate, d6Y Radio Antenna, d6G Omnidirectional rear Thrusters.

I thoroughly enjoy the design for the legs, and may have to improve upon it in the future. I'll see what happens.

Hope you enjoyed and I eagerly await your thoughts, comments, questions concerns, or anything you wish to share.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:04 am

They weren't a flop at all!

If I considered every non commented frame of mine a flop I would be depressed already! :lol:

I really liked the winged version! It looks very mobile as it should.

Also, nice shield on the kickback!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Shades_Corvid » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:19 am

Nice melee weapon on the Ryde Brawler, I could never figure out how I deploy that piece as a weapon!
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Artasid » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:27 am

VitorFaria wrote:
I really liked the winged version! It looks very mobile as it should.

Yeah, those wings, when I got them, practically screamed to be used, so I kinda just 'winged' it. haha :lol: ... Err, bad pun, never mind :oops:

Shades_Corvid wrote:Nice melee weapon on the Ryde Brawler, I could never figure out how I deploy that piece as a weapon!

Every time I see those gears, the teeth on it, plus the overall design, I just can't help but feel like they are circular saw blades. Would've like to make it so they could spin, but, I lack the correct connection parts to do so at the moment. But I will alter it once I aquire the pieces I need.

Have any of you got a ridiculous song stuck in your head? I'm sure it's happened to everyone now and then. Well, I was watching an episode of South Park and it had the episode with the 'Crab People' and that @$%^ song played over and over.

CRAB PEOPLE! CRAB PEOPLE! LOOK LIKE CRAB BUT TALK LIKE PEOPLE! CRAB PEOPLE!

Driven mad by this chant/song, I decided to build a frame. I do not have a name for it yet, and I am open for suggestions.

ImageUnnamed Crab Frame
Crab d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh Multi Claws, d6Y Hi-Def Spotlight, d6G Tripod legs d8G No Ranged Weaponry

ImageUnnamed Crab Frame full frontal
ImageUnnamed Crab Frame rear
ImageUnnamed Crab Frame size

Putting the 'face' of the frame inside the crablike mouth was a bit strange for me to be honest. I would love to say the armor plates would add a d6B but in order to remove it (due to damage) I would have to remove the face as well, in which case could not be reattached. And I shouldn't have to rebuild an entire frame in the middle of a game. In fact if I took out the cheese wedge, and added eye stalks on the inverted bars, I'm betting I could pass this off as a Mixel, but eh... Whatever. I consider it a table scrap, but interesting enough to share.

Hope you enjoyed and I eagerly await any and all comments, thoughts, questions, concerns, ect as always.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:02 am

Those arms are terrifying!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:29 am

VitorFaria wrote:Those arms are terrifying!

Yes, yes they are. And they are the most unique feature about that particular frame. If I can find more multi peg claws, I might make a company of them.

Here's something new. Not as impressive as my other builds, but simplistic enough that it warrents a post here:

FLUFF!

YOU BUY SKRUB!!!

ImageSkrub

YOU BUY SKRUB NOW!! BUY MANY SKRUB! SKRUB IS SMALL SO SKRUB IS CHEAP! YOU BUY NOW!!

THERE MANY SKRUB! MANY MANY SKRUB! SKRUB WITH CHUB!
ImageSkrub With Chub

YOU BUY SKRUB!!!!

END FLUFF

lol, ok, that was weird even for me, but I had a laugh.
And for anyone interested, here are the system loadouts for the Skrubs as currently shot in pic. I realize that they are currently under equipped, and I am working to correct this error, but I felt like sharing as they are.

WHITE: d6Rd d6Rd Direct Cannon, d6Y Telescoping lens, d6G Quad Legs
YELLOW: d6Ra d6Ra Rail Gun, d6Y Tracking Antenna, d6G Quad Legs
BROWN: d6Rh d6Rh Chainsaw, d6B d6B Dual Countermeasure Pods, d6G Quad Legs, d8G No Ranged Weaponry
BLUE: d6Rd d6Rd Direct Lasers, d6Y Crystalized Scanning Array, d6G Quad Legs
PURPLE: d6Rd d6Rd Direct Cannon, d6G Quad Legs
RED: Core Unit, No Systems except d6G Quad Legs, d8G No Ranged Weaponry
BLACK Alternate Core Unit build. No Systems except d6G Quad Legs, d8G No Ranged Weaponry
GRAY: d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra Multi Howitzers, d6G Quad Legs, d6G Rear Thrusters

Hope you enjoyed and I eagerly await any and all thoughts, insults, questions, comments you wish to share.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby gusindor » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:41 pm

I guess I buy Skrub now..?

I like the use of the balls as feet, they make me think of little omni-directional wheels.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Fr33land » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:12 am

Kind of remind me of Tachicomas. ex-Ghost in the Shell.
Fr33land
Young Gun

Postby Artasid » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:20 am

FLUFF

On the solidary planet known as Vansfir, various swarms of many different insectoid species dominate as the apex organism. Many of these swarms have yet to be identified, however, it has been noted that the Hive mind colonizations of these insects have attracted the attention of the Ijad. Only recently it was discovered that the Ijad had started to form bonds with the planets dominating insects.

We have a recording of one such bond:

ImageGnatoid
Gnatoid: d6B d6B Dual Armor Plates, d6Y d6Y Dual Sonar Towers, d8G No Ranged Weaponry

Until we have confirmation of this species designation, it will be labeled simply 'Gnatoid'. We also have reason to believe, that this is only the first of many new frames the Ijad have produced that mimics the insect inhabitants of planet Vansfir. There is an on going research and updates will be posted upon their findings.

END FLUFF.

Hope you enjoyed and as always, I eagerly await your commands... err.. I mean, your comments. And questions, or insults, what-have-you. lol
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby AnnoyedZebra » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:01 am

Without the fluff its a little weird but with the fluff its great!
AnnoyedZebra
Young Gun

Postby VitorFaria » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:01 am

Those legs remind me of the suspension system of real life mars exploration rovers. If you added small Kre-o wells on their tip that would make a great rover frame of sorts.
VitorFaria
Mod Team

PreviousNext

Return to Frame Designs