Just some Random Frames

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Just some Random Frames

Postby Artasid » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:01 am

Out of sheer boredom, I decided to grab a handful of LEGO pieces and tried to come up with something interesting for Frame designs...

Unfortunatly I came up with these... :oops:

lol :lol:

ImageSmurflids
LEFT: d6Rh d6Rh HtH Claw, d6B d6B Dual Armor Plates, d6Y Sonar Array, d8G No Ranged Weaponry
CENTER: d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra Dual Missile Pods
RIGHT: d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd Dual Direct Range Cannons, d6G Rear Thrusters

I call these Smurflids. Mainly because of the color. The Core unit is just 4 Robo Arms connected to a Star Wars battle droid torso. However, because of how small they are in comparision to standard frame sizes, like the Chub or Scrambler, I doubt they'll be of any more use than as drones, or maybe even used as Aces for IO, but who knows...

Then I somehow managed this little guy,
ImageFlea
FLEA: d6Rd d6Rd Direct Range Cannon, d6Ra d6Ra Artillery Mortars, d6G Hop-a-long Jump Pack, d6G Extra Legs

I kinda like the simple shape this one offers, but seems a little jumbled together. I'll let you decide.

And finally, rather recently, Lorc posted some SSC's he made from the series 7 Mixels, and I particularly like them, especially the one he did of Trumpsy.
Lorc wrote:Image
41562: Trumpsy
d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Ra
Hamsterball. A gunpod with a minimalist but servicable station. I've come to enjoy using those dome pieces on frames. They're removable so they could give double-blue if you feel like it. I prefer to think of them as hamster-cheeks stuffed full of ammo.

Using his SSC as a guide, with a few altercations, I decided to try and build a frame based from an old Anime that to this day is still close to my heart: Robotech/Macross
ImageZentradi Pod
ZENTRADI POD: d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd Direct Range Cannons, d6B d6B Anti-Infantry Point Defense Turrets.

I know it's not exact as the ones in the Anime, but I like how it turned out, However, there was a slight problem; It's a little taller than I had planned, and if I try to shorten it, it just looses the appeal, Luckily however, I made a scale device to measure how tall it was and surprisingly it JUST BARELY fit the scale
ImagePod to scale

Still, might be a little discouraging to see it on the field when it's next to a Chub...
ImagePod and Chub

I may or may not use this in future games, (depending on players scale preferences,) but overall I am REALLY happy with this one.

I hope you enjoyed and again, I am eager to hear your complaints, comments questions ect. lol
Last edited by Artasid on Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Just some Random Frames

Postby Jagarmot » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:52 pm

Trumpsy is a cool set, your build is nice :-)

You built the flea out of Nexo Sets ?
The color scheme would be great if it wasn't for the front gun. Maybe try something out of one of those trans-orange claws and a pierced 1x1 round stud ?
Jagarmot
Talkative

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:57 pm

Those Smurflids are really screaming IO Aces to me. I could see this base design being used in many may ways, they could look both very "Ijadish" or very "Free-Colonies-ish" depending on the color scheme.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:39 pm

Jagarmot wrote:Trumpsy is a cool set, your build is nice :-)

You built the flea out of Nexo Sets ?
The color scheme would be great if it wasn't for the front gun. Maybe try something out of one of those trans-orange claws and a pierced 1x1 round stud ?

To answer your question Jagarmot, The Flea was build using pieces that I had scattered in my collection, the use of the trans orange claws (which did come from Nexo sets) was actually a random choice. I liked how it went with the darker colors of the rest of the build, so even though those pieces did come from Nexo sets, I cannot say that ALL of it came from Nexos, though I'm sure you could find all these pieces there somewhere.

As for your suggestion about the front gun, I went ahead and made a change:

ImageFlea Modified

I have to be honest and say that I, myself, kinda think this particular look takes away from the sturdiness of the original, but everyone is allowed their own opinions. Just because I don't particually care for it does not mean that it won't be a favorite to someone else. One of the best things I like about LEGO's in general is the options it allows to be creative and original without the handicap of it being perminate, like with plastic airplane models. (Ugg I can't stand that plastic adhesive glue you gotta use... so messy...)
But hopefully this modification is what you were implying and if not, then I'll have to try again.

Enjoy and again, I am eager to hear any comments, questions, complaints, ect. you get the idea. :lol:
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jagarmot » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:55 am

Thanks for all the precautions you took when writing. Do not worry : I was giving my opinion. Moreover, it was a design point (as in "colors and shapes", opposed to function) that is very subjective. Every position on such a topic is relevant and admissible :D

I agree with you. The original model looks better than the revised version.

Thanks for bricking my suggestion and posting the picture :-)
Jagarmot
Talkative

Postby Artasid » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:32 am

Awhile back, I did an experiment with Peg Blasters to build a couple of Atavism's Quail frames :

ImageQuail test builds
ImageQuail test builds rear

Using this same method, I made a new random frame, which I have (at least for the moment) named: SquatBot: (Apologies for the slightly blurry pics, using a new camera.)

ImageSquatBot
SquatBot: d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd Dual Double-Barrel Blasters
ImageSquatBot Rear
Showing the Peg Blasters

But I decided to make some modular systems to go with it:
ImageSquatBot's System choices

ImageSquatBot 2
Fighter: d6Rh d6Rh HtH Sword, d6B Arm Shield, d8G No Ranged Weaponry
ImageSquatBot 3
Sniper: d6Ra d6Ra Howitzer, d6Y d6Y Dual Floodlamp Spyglasses

I would have like to create more options for the systems loadouts, but unfortunately I am currently low on pieces to continue, but I am planning on resolving this issue soon.
Hope you enjoyed. And as always, I am eager to hear your thoughts, questions, comments, ect.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:23 am

Great use of an interesting angle for implied articulation. Well done!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby CmdrRook » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:49 pm

I love the look of the SquatBot, and kudos for further exploring the possibilities of what I presumed were initially tablescrap. I think I can help you resolve some of your new camera woes, though. If you are using a digital camera and getting those blurry shots, you are most likely:
-Shooting from too close to your subject
-Lighting from too close to your subject, and too directly
-Not stabilizing the camera
-Over-exposing the shot
-You may have a greasy lens

In order, you should:
-Take a few steps back and shoot from arm's length, or further. Use the highest resolution option on your camera, and then crop the images down to only what you'd like to show off in whatever post-pro application you'd like. I shoot in 4k and use paint to crop; Zoom out> select area tool> box my subject> hit Crop. Ctrl+Z and try again as needed.
-Either move your light source away from your subject or diffuse it. A simple hack is to throw a plastic shopping bag or two over the light source. This should only be attempted with compact flourescent or LED lighting, and preferably with a shade or cowling attached, as incandescent will likely melt your bag. Alternatively, if you're using a focused lamp, you can angle it against a white backdrop that reflects onto your subject, the same way the moon casts light on the earth.
-The most direct way to stabilize a camera is a mono/bi/tripod, and there's a REALLY COOL tutorial for a DIY tension-monopod here. But this may not be the easiest method because most digital cameras, including cell-phone cameras, include a digital stabilizer, though they usually take some practice to get the knack for. When shooting, try holding the shutter button (the "take-the-picture-button") down for a second or more, until the image shifts, and usually isolates a focus-point, then release the shoot the picture itself.
-The previous technique can optimize exposure time, as well, providing the subject is well-lit. For best results, use your "Auto" settings until you understand the ins and outs of using your new camera. Too low an exposure time gives you a dark and grainy image. Too high, and you get washed-out, blurry madness. Find what works for you, how you shoot, and where you shoot.
-If all else fails (and even if it doesn't) you may want to invest in a microcloth and a tiny spritzer of glasses cleaner. Doesn't take much, but a smudge and dust-free lens can make a world of difference. A dirty lens can interfere with focus and create bright spots in your image, or just muss the whole thing up, but I wouldn't get too up-tight about it.

Hope you find the techniques here useful for making the most out of your pictures, and keep shooting!
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Artasid » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:00 pm

CmdrRook wrote:I love the look of the SquatBot, and kudos for further exploring the possibilities of what I presumed were initially tablescrap. I think I can help you resolve some of your new camera woes, though. If you are using a digital camera and getting those blurry shots, you are most likely:
-Shooting from too close to your subject
-Lighting from too close to your subject, and too directly
-Not stabilizing the camera
-Over-exposing the shot
-You may have a greasy lens

In order, you should:
-Take a few steps back and shoot from arm's length, or further. Use the highest resolution option on your camera, and then crop the images down to only what you'd like to show off in whatever post-pro application you'd like. I shoot in 4k and use paint to crop; Zoom out> select area tool> box my subject> hit Crop. Ctrl+Z and try again as needed.
-Either move your light source away from your subject or diffuse it. A simple hack is to throw a plastic shopping bag or two over the light source. This should only be attempted with compact flourescent or LED lighting, and preferably with a shade or cowling attached, as incandescent will likely melt your bag. Alternatively, if you're using a focused lamp, you can angle it against a white backdrop that reflects onto your subject, the same way the moon casts light on the earth.
-The most direct way to stabilize a camera is a mono/bi/tripod, and there's a REALLY COOL tutorial for a DIY tension-monopod here. But this may not be the easiest method because most digital cameras, including cell-phone cameras, include a digital stabilizer, though they usually take some practice to get the knack for. When shooting, try holding the shutter button (the "take-the-picture-button") down for a second or more, until the image shifts, and usually isolates a focus-point, then release the shoot the picture itself.
-The previous technique can optimize exposure time, as well, providing the subject is well-lit. For best results, use your "Auto" settings until you understand the ins and outs of using your new camera. Too low an exposure time gives you a dark and grainy image. Too high, and you get washed-out, blurry madness. Find what works for you, how you shoot, and where you shoot.
-If all else fails (and even if it doesn't) you may want to invest in a microcloth and a tiny spritzer of glasses cleaner. Doesn't take much, but a smudge and dust-free lens can make a world of difference. A dirty lens can interfere with focus and create bright spots in your image, or just muss the whole thing up, but I wouldn't get too up-tight about it.

Hope you find the techniques here useful for making the most out of your pictures, and keep shooting!

Thank you so so much for the advice CmdrRook. I have already gone ahead a put some of those techniques into practice to help improve my pics. Thank you so much.
And for some further fun...
ImageNAME THAT SCENE!!

Just a movie scene I thought I'd make using 2 of my builds. Here's a hint from what movie it's from

White Frame (Sir Alabaster): "Victory is mine!"
Black Frame (SquatBot): "Tis but a scratch!"
White: "A SCRATCH?!? You're arm's off!"
Black: "No it isn't."
White: "Well what do you call that?"
Black: "......... I've had worse."

lolololololololol :lol: :lol: :lol:
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby CmdrRook » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:36 pm

You're quite welcome, and it's already making a world of difference. Nice reference, as well.
"I'll chew your legs off!"
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Artasid » Sun May 08, 2016 5:20 am

Sorry for the recent absence everyone, life's problems gave me a surprise visit and I'm still dealing with them.

Anyway, I managed to get some free time to build some new random frames, and I absently came up with walking trashcans for some odd reason... or maybe some ghetto R2-D2's

ImageUnnamed Random Frames
LEFT: d6Y Advanced Radar Tracking Device, d6G Leg Thrusters, d8G No Ranged Weaponry
CENTER: d6Rd d6Rd Direct Range Cannon, d6Rh d6Rh Mace
RIGHT: d6Ra d6Ra Artillery Mortars, d6B Armor Plate.

Again, nothing much, but I hope you enjoy and as usual, always eager to hear thoughts, comments, questions, insults, what-have-you
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby spacemonkey » Sun May 08, 2016 8:57 am

I like the shaping of those randoms frames you just made. They look like they would make for some highly stable and nicely low-part count play pieces.
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Mon May 09, 2016 8:01 am

"ghetto R2-D2" is an aesthetic that should be explored more. Really nice!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Mon May 09, 2016 9:22 am

Artasid wrote:Sorry for the recent absence everyone, life's problems gave me a surprise visit and I'm still dealing with them.

I totally hear you on that.

Artasid wrote:Anyway, I managed to get some free time to build some new random frames, and I absently came up with walking trashcans for some odd reason... or maybe some ghetto R2-D2's

ImageUnnamed Random Frames

I like these guys. They could probably make a decent Two-to-a-Plate combo like my Cute Widdle Death Machines.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Thu May 12, 2016 5:55 pm

VitorFaria wrote:"ghetto R2-D2" is an aesthetic that should be explored more. Really nice!

Thank's VitorFaria. In all actuality, these guys gave me an idea for another random frame, but this one has a bit of a story to it:

FLUFF

On a junkyard planet called "Juunksalot", an old retired mechanic named Robert "Plug" Roberts lived. But because of the constant trash and refuse that collected to the planet on a daily basis from other various planets within the system, Plug got discouraged. He finally decided that he was going to earn a way to get off Juunksalot and settle to a more 'sterile' planet. However, the only transit gate accessible was controlled by the Free Colonist movement, and they did not allow anyone passage without a contribution to their liberation cause against the Union. Retired with little financial sources, Plug began to do the only thing he was skilled at. Building. Scavaging the refuse mounds throughtout his property, he welded, constructed, fused and toiled for several months before he was able to buy his passage through the Transit Gate: a Mobile Frame

...(made from junk...)

ImageSKR-aps Core
ImageSKR-aps variant 1
SKR-aps V1: d6Ra d6Ra Artillery Missile Pod, d6B Frontal Shield Plate, d6Y Sensory Antenna
ImageSKR-aps variant 2
SKR-aps V2: d6Rd d6Rd Direct Range Piston Cannon, d6Ra d6Ra Artillery Mortars, d6G Custom Hydraulics pack.

If you look at the frame and think: "What a piece of junk!" then ha ha ha! That is EXACTLY what I wanted you to think. lol
Actually, my "ghetto R2-D2's" kinda inspired the idea for the main body, and I kinda just winged it from there.
Hope you enjoyed and as usual, I am eager to hear back from you with your thoughts, comments, questions, ect.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby gusindor » Thu May 12, 2016 11:05 pm

Hip-mounted weapons are interesting... I may need to experiment with those...
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Artasid » Fri May 27, 2016 5:23 am

gusindor wrote:Hip-mounted weapons are interesting... I may need to experiment with those...

I hope you do. I would love to see what ideas you come up with.

Since Commissar's seem to be making a comeback, I decided it was high time I tried to build one of my own. Unfortunatly I am currently lacking in the correct pieces meant to construct the one found in the rulebook, so I had to improvise by adding a bit of my own personality into the build. However, because of the unique build of the central core itself, I hesitate it label it as an actual Commissar. Until its true desigination is decided, I'll simply call it Commissar? for now. Also, a big shout-out THANK YOU to soriansj for his Rifle Variants he made from the rulebook, one of which I used for this build.

ImageCommissar?
Commissar? d6Rd d6Rd Combat Rifle, d6Ra d6Ra Mortar Pod, d6Y Motion Tracking Antenna.
ImageCommissar? View 2

This build ended up having a bit more articulation than many of my other builds, which in this case has an increased range of motion. Not that any of it would help in game, but a nice little feature I can't help but share.
ImageCommissar? Pose
ImageCommissar? Fall down, go boom

As for my earlier statement about it's 'Unique Central Core" Here's a closeup shot to help you understand.
ImageCommissar? Interior
To be perfectly honest, the connection of the pieces here were completely accidental, but once I realized that it was a sturdy connection, I experimented a bit until I was able to construct a frame around it.

Some of you might be saying "I've been doing that kind of build for years." And if so, then I applaud your skill, and you are more than several years more experienced than I. But for me, coming across such a technique (Albeit by accident) is a milestone for my level of building. And I encourage anyone willing to try it themselves.
Hope you enjoyed and again, as always, I am eager to hear your thoughts, comments, questions, and so on.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Fri May 27, 2016 7:48 am

You built a Conscript around a Chub chest? Awesome!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:27 am

I was so inspired by my Commissar?'s central core build, that I made another attempt, this time using slightly different parts and angels, but essencially the same concept and created a new random tablescrap for you all to feast you eyes upon and enjoy, lol

ImageHunchback
Hunchback: d6Rd d6Rd Double Lasers, d6B Arm Shield, d6Y Tracking Antenna, d6G Hunchback Boosters.

Kind of a mix up in my opinion, I may not continue with this design, but out of selflessness, I decided to share in case some of you find it to your liking. I can even post a breakdown if so requested.

Again, I eagerly await any comments, ideas, question and so on you wish to share.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Artasid » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:49 am

And again and again, I keep making random frames to ease my boredom...

lol, anyway, here are some new ones to pique interest. (I hope)

FIRST:
We have here what I call WoDs. (Worms of Dread). Most likely an Ijad frame.

ImageWoD Pair

I was going for an Asian Dragon kinda look. It may or may not work for MFZ, but eh, what the hell right?

ImageWoD Green
ImageWod Green Standing
WoD Green: d6Rh d6Rh Acid Spray, d6Y d6Y Dual Mustache Sensors d8G No Ranged Weaponry

ImageWoD Red
ImageWod Red Standing
WoD Red: d6Rh d6Rh Fire Breath, d6B Spine Armor, d6Y d6Y Dual Mustache Sensors, d8G No Ranged Weaponry

NEXT
Just a tablescrap really, but I wanted to try out some new connection techniques I call this one SunStryder

ImageSunStryder
ImageSunStryder 2
SunStryder: d6B d6B Dual Armor Plating on legs, d6Y Tracer Antenna, d8G No Ranged Weaponry.

Hope you enjoyed and I eagerly await any comments, questions, threats, ect.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Next

Return to Frame Designs