SSC: KRE-O Consruction Site Smash

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

SSC: KRE-O Consruction Site Smash

Postby Hackjob » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:47 pm

Puchased these last year at a Big Lots during the holidays: buy 1 get 1 1/2 off so I got 2 for $7.50 (before tax). This is in the spirit of the Single Set Challenge. I had real high hopes for this set, with the cool chain piece and plenty of parts. Well, it was harder than I thought, because the two vehicles are pretty different, there is not much part redundancy. After struggleing for a while, I came up with this:

Mining Frame: d6Rh d6Rh (claw), d6Y (antenna), d6G (wheels), d8Rr (dynamite)

I like the head, but the rest is junk. The terrain are a public works sculpture, frame barrier, and some sorta terraforming station or sumthin. Side note, the Kre-o minifig without head and arms makes a very passable 5p model, with "hat" it is exactly 6p tall (I might have to do a thread on the utility of them).

This was during the hieght of the budget frame wars, and I figured "what's better for a budget than a SSC?" Well, here is what came about, I intended to post a whole infomercial thread extolling it's virtues (still could if someone asks). Helper JOE:

Helper JOE wants to help you!

I actually like how the diesel turbine looks on it's back, but the rest is pretty silly. The advertisement would have bragged about having arms and knees.
I do intend to mash the two sets together and hopfully come up with a good frame then.
-Hackjob

Here's more: my Flikr
Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Re: SSC: KRE-O Consruction Site Smash

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:59 pm

Hackjob wrote: Side note, the Kre-o minifig without head and arms makes a very passable 5p model, with "hat" it is exactly 6p tall (I might have to do a thread on the utility of them).

Like this?
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:38 pm

I put together this from parts in that set. I'm not sure if I have any more unopened sets to give it another try.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Hackjob » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:51 pm

VitorFaria wrote:Like this?

Not exactly, I do remember that thread, they actually have some interesting building potential also.

Mantisking wrote:I put together this from parts in that set. I'm not sure if I have any more unopened sets to give it another try.

Neat! The set does have some good pieces, I actaully just revisited it in 4p but haven't taken any pics yet.
-Hackjob

Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hackjob » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:46 pm

Well I said I was gonna revisit this set in 4p and I did. I actually went at it 2 more times with reasonable success.

The first is actually a pair of opposing frames, an Ijad-y quad and a more standard human type.

TIck: d6Ra d6Ra , d6Rh d6Rh , d6B , d6G
Image Image

Buster: d6Rd d6Rd , d6Y , d6G , d6B
Image Image

Together:

Notes: I'm pretty happy with this result, much better than my earlier attempts. I think the Tick is a decent build and the Buster has grown a little on me from total disdain to acceptence. There are a few pieces left over, plenty to make a station or some alternate loadouts but I got distracted by my next build. You could buy two of these sets and have a viable 4p scale company for under $12.
-Hackjob

Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hackjob » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:48 pm

The second 4p build is a tractor-styled heavy labor frame. I'm pretty pleased with how this one came out, I feel like it's the best SSC I have made with this set. I like it so much I almost started a new topic for it. Full disclosure- I like tractors.

Y.E.T.I. Frameworks' H4 Mastodon is a large diesel-electric frame designed for heavy labor applications. From agricultural to industrial the Mastodon is well suited to a wide range of roles. One feature that allows for this versatility are the multitude of attachment points on the frames superstructure. Including several specialized heavy duty arm attachments that can not only lift extremley heavy loads, but also take additional equiment. Other selling points are the patented "Trak-Toe Rugged Terrain Ambulators", and the massive twin battery banks located in the hips that give the Mastodon umached power and endurance.

Mastodon:
Image Image
Close up view of rear attachment points and heavy duty arms, and side view with trailer and front blade.
Image Image
Wrecking ball and counter weight, the Mastodon can carry it's gear to a site!
Image Image
Mastodon with a variety of standard equipment.

Although the Mastodon is niether fast nor agile, it is almost bulletproof in it's standard form, this has led to widespread use by militias.
Soldier Configuration:
Image Image
Delegator Configuration:
Military approved equipment sold by Y.E.T.I. Frameworks

Notes: Well, like I said, I really like the character of this frame. I'm particularly fond of how the engine in the nose looks. This frame is a larger, heavy duty type, if a normal labor frame is equvalent to this, then the Mastodon is like this. You can't see it, but what really shines about this design is the core. Just above the clip at the rear of the frame is a sideways 1x2 jumper plate, the ends stick out enough for the 2x2 blocks to wedge on it giving me the abitity to have studs perpendicular to the cockpit/engine area. I expect that connection will come in quite handy for future SSCs. I would be happy to snap a pic if someone wants to see it. Credit to gusindor for the frame wheelbarrow idea, I think that makes perfect sense for the Solar Calandar setting. C+C welcome
-Hackjob

Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hackjob » Sun May 15, 2016 9:01 am

I wasn't really happy with the Buster frame, so I redid it. This frame can still be made from the same set as the Tick.

Buster MKII: Soldier Loadout
Image Image

I gotta say, I'm getting a lot of mileage from this set, I highly recommend it- buy 2!
-Hackjob

Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Frame Designs