Single Set Challenge: 30275

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Single Set Challenge: 30275

Postby darksyntax » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:26 pm

My Single Set Challenge builds from 30275, TIE Advanced Prototype polybag.

ImageImage
d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6Y d6G

ImageImage
d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d6Y d6Y d6B
ImageImageImage

Thoughts:
- 48pcs for $4US is well below the golden ratio. I picked this up at a Target store and they had quite a few of them. Sourcing this shouldn't be too difficult as polybags at Target usually stick around a while. This is a Star Wars set so with the current interest it might go more quickly, but it's a Rebels ship not a Force Awakens ship (and not a popular or overly attractive one). I saw them reported at WalMart too.
- At first glance I wasn't very optimistic about SSC'ing this set. It's mostly a big bag of plates and the plateclips are not of the most usable type. However, once I started playing around with the partslist, I was able to get a couple of reasonable frames.
- The plateclips/handles made for passable quad legs, but getting a base for them was trickier. The 2x3 wedgeplates in a sandwiched 3x3 config works well, but it a little fiddly to assemble (once assembled it's solid though).
- The chckenwalker legs were easy, but I was having a terrible time building a body. One iteration with the 2x2 round brick looked a little Twank-ish so I rebuilt it as a box and called it a day. The box proved versatile though and I was able to make some alt configs.
- Both of these frames are VERY easily modifiable with other parts you have laying around, not only for other loadouts, but as they're all grey just a couple of pieces in a color or two would allow for easy company designation.
- The original model is usable for MFZ:IO as is, but should be easy to SSC into other MFZ:IO ships.
- There have been a few other SSC's of this posted proving the set to be eminently more SSC viable than I'd imagined. With apparently good availability and SSC versatility this set is a great way to start playing MFZ. Check out these other SSC's too: Shades_Corvid's POD, Mantis King's Big Dog quad, and David Glaude's humanoid shieldbearer

C&C solicited as always!
darksyntax
Mod Team

Re: Single Set Challenge: 30275

Postby Blorf » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:37 am

Dang, son. For an SSC, that quad is fantastic.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Re: Single Set Challenge: 30275

Postby Jagarmot » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:41 pm

Dang, son. For an SSC, that quad is fantastic.

This.

And as you said, a couple of leftover pieces and/or splashes of colors will personalise these two builds really easily.

That's a fantastic job you did on this set.
Jagarmot
Talkative

Return to Frame Designs