Mixel Orbitrons SSCs

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Mixel Orbitrons SSCs

Postby Lorc » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:10 am

Another entry for the Single Set Challenge. This time, the Season 4 Orbitron Mixels.

From left to right:

41527 Rokit. Quite happy with this one - the canopy makes for a good removable d6B protecting the cockpit. And the symmetrical weapon pods look like a more deliberate design than most of my SSC weapons. Even managed to squeeze a d6Y on the back. It wouldn't be difficult to change the flamethrowers into a rifle and use the flames for some kind of movement system, creating a basic soldier frame.

41528 Niksput. I cheated again here, using blocky Mixel-style feet instead of proper legs. But that freed up enough parts for an articulated arm and a proper gun. And the result looks like it belongs in the same company as Rokit.

41529 Nurp-Naut was a pain in the ass. There were a few failed attempts and I was just about ready to give up and admit that DarkSyntax had found the only viable SSC build. Then this tripod artillery build appeared. Still my least favourite of the three, but I think it gets bonus points for using all but one piece of the set (No room for a 2nd 4*4 dome).

And rear views for anyone who cares

This completes my Season 4 Mixel SSCs. Thoughts:

The Orbitrons were by far the most fun to build and made for the frames I'm most happy with. After my disappointing showing with the Glowkies it's nice to have ended on a high. The Infernites SSC frames weren't great, but I feel that making them taught me some new approaches that I put to use on the Orbitrons.

The hybrid Twank/Classic with angled body (which needs a catchy name) is a useful goto design for SSCs or people with small collections. Even if it doesn't have the flash factor of Chubbs and other modern frames, it creates good results with a minimum of pieces. It makes me want to to tinker and see how far if it can be polished.
Lorc
Talkative

Re: Mixel Orbitrons SSCs

Postby Blorf » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:38 pm

Twankenoid?

I think you did a nice job on the nurp-naut. It's quirky, sure, but cohesive and readable. It feels less like an SSC and the part choices look deliberate rather than from necessity.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Atavism » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:10 pm

Really like these guys. Those dome pieces look good at this scale and their backpacks add a lot of visual interest. Niksput has a great shape overall, although I don't care for the way you split up the plates on his laser arm. I think Nurp may be my favorite of the bunch. It needs a bigger cannon (I know, SSC) but that big bulky body has a lot of potential.
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:56 am

Atavism wrote:It needs a bigger cannon

Atavism is trying his very hardest to reach into the screen and put one of these on the front.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby darksyntax » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:33 pm

Well done. I like the consistent look of the first two frames even though they have VERY different partslists.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby Atavism » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:37 pm

Blorf wrote:
Atavism wrote:It needs a bigger cannon

Atavism is trying his very hardest to reach into the screen and put one of these on the front.

It's a good thing I was looking on my phone, probably would have broken my monitor. But seriously, isn't that build just begging for one?
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Lorc » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:57 am

Hmm, perhaps. Perhaps.
Lorc
Talkative

Postby Atavism » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:24 pm

Lorc wrote:Image

Hmm, perhaps. Perhaps.

See, isn't that wonderful? Though sometimes I wonder if it couldn't be bigger somehow... :lol:
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Lorc » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:25 pm

Atavism wrote:See, isn't that wonderful? Though sometimes I wonder if it couldn't be bigger somehow... :lol:

Bigger? Bigger! BIGGER!
Lorc
Talkative

Postby Atavism » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:33 pm

Lorc wrote:
Atavism wrote:See, isn't that wonderful? Though sometimes I wonder if it couldn't be bigger somehow... :lol:

Bigger? Bigger! BIGGER!

Am I about to die, or is it just happy to see me? :lol:

I really like the way you did the crown on the middle one. I think if you swapped out the flanged cylinder for the smooth one of the first version you'd be perfect.
Atavism
Mod Team

Return to Frame Designs