[SSC] 31027 Blue Racer

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

[SSC] 31027 Blue Racer

Postby FragsturBait » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:31 pm

I got two of this set mostly for the orange cones and the blue fender flares, and decided to do a hard-mode SSC with it, as it's mostly plates with very, very few good parts for joints.

Mantisking style review as follows:
Can you build a frame, or frames, right away? (Yes = +5 / No = -5)
Meh, kinda. It's a statue but it looks OK. +2

Is it below, at, or above the golden ratio? (Below = +5 / At = 0 / Above = -10) (The Golden Ratio is $0.10 per part.)
Creator sets are usually below the ratio, and I got it at a slight discount at Target for $4.74, which puts it at $0.07 a part. +4

If you can't build a frame right away, or choose not to, does it have parts you should be able to put into use right away? (Yes = +5 / No = -5)
Yes. A good assortment of brackets, curves, 1x1 bits. A frame is a challenge, but this is a FANTASTIC parts set. +5

Does it have more than a handful of immediately useful parts? (Yes = +5 / No = -5)
Yes. It's 99% useful parts. Here's the full parts list.+5

That adds up to 16, making this a solid A set.

FragsturBait
Talkative

Re: [SSC] 31027 Blue Racer

Postby darksyntax » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:53 am

Nice review and valiant effort on the SSC. Some of my SSC's have pushed the limit of what I'd call a viable frame.

For the the rating, I'm not sure I'd count the frame on this and although there are lots of good pieces at a great price in easily used colors there aren't enough. The larger plates and brackets and wheels/axles cut into the frame-useful parts count. I'd give this a solid B.

While I didn't manage to pull a frame from this set that didn't just look like a box, I did get some alt model vehicles from it. Maybe I'll give it another go.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby darksyntax » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:19 pm

I really had my doubts about what kind of frame I could get out of this set. After I gave up on trying to get any articulation from the clipplates and the axles I worked on a studs-out box with the brackets and this came together quickly. My first version was 4-wide with the brackets and was way too wide so I reworked it into this 2-wide config that let the shoulders sit flush and gave the head a 1/2plate neck gap. It's got a bit of a Battletech feel to it.

Blue Gunner
d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B d6G
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby FragsturBait » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:49 pm

So as it turns out, this might actually be a decent squad-builder set. That's a great little frame. For about $35 you can get 5 of these and a PAB cup to accessorize. Can you post a breakdown for us?
FragsturBait
Talkative

Postby darksyntax » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:40 pm

FragsturBait wrote:So as it turns out, this might actually be a decent squad-builder set. That's a great little frame... Can you post a breakdown for us?

Thanks. The "shoulders" and back plate offer easy system attachment, but the legs, especially the feet/calves, are fiddly and wouldn't hold up well to vigorous play.

breakdown - the "guts" of this are fairly simple, but photographing it was harder than I expected
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby FragsturBait » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:18 am

I took your idea and ran with it, flipping the front and back and reworking the legs. The collar sits flush now, and the legs are pretty sturdy.

You can also stretch the tires over the legs like rubber bands for a bit of extra stability, but I wouldn't exactly call that a legal connection.

The big drawbacks are that the back is a mess of exposed studs (but It was kind of that anyway wasn't it?) and the legs don't look nearly as nice, even if they work better.
FragsturBait
Talkative

Return to Frame Designs