Vesopia Mechworks (Cue: 56k Warning)

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Vesopia Mechworks (Cue: 56k Warning)

Postby Ced23Ric » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:50 pm

Hey there,

I have absolutely no clue what I am doing here, but I always loved Lego and Battletech is one of those things I've always wanted to play but never did. Now there's MF0. And, well, I read up on it and then found out, that there's the LDD. Boy, was I excited. And now, on to the more interesting part: Frames.

NAG13-u Urban Naga
Combat Role: Ranged Support, Precision Fire
Base Frame: Sand Naga, by Mitten Ninja.
Specc: 1x Heavy Gauss Rifle (Ra 2d6+1d8), 1x Triple Strength Myomer (1G), 1x Armor Plating (1B), 2x SSR (Rd 1w8)

Image Image Image

I took the base frame of the Sand Naga, which I absolutely adored, and practically rebuilt it with minor changes. I switched the "tap" for the "nozzle" bit, to have closer joints without sacrificing mobility. The head section has some cosmetic changes, the OneShot missles are slightly different, and I made the feet more stable, to support the feeling of a stable weapons platform. Some of the armor plates is altered, the Gauss Rifle has a bit larger housing and I picked bricks that make it seem like it's charging up and about to fire.

WLV37-a Wolverine
Combat Role: Melee, Tank.
Base Frame: Sand Naga, by Mitten Ninja.
Additional Inspiration: Melee Weapons by ParadoxBoy.
Specc: 2x Melee Claws (Rh 2d6+1d8), 1x Jumpjets (1G +1w8), 1x Enhanced Void Shields (1B)

Image Image Image

After I was done with the Urban Naga, I ripped the weapons off, got rid of the backpack and added jumpjets. The melee claws are taken from ParadoxBoy's Diablo, which I found to just about hit that Warhammer40k Dreadnought CCW feeling. The mounting it designed so it fits the Naga frame, though. The cockpit was moved backwards, so the pilot wouldn't be face-first in engagements and has at least some added protection just from that. Then, I slapped some close-range anti-infantry weaponry onto the shoulders and added shields all around, to show that this frame is meant to jump in, tough it out and RIP'N'TEAR. So yeah, deffo melee right there.

I'll add more as I come up with things. :)
Last edited by Ced23Ric on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Re: Vesopia Mechworks (Cue: 56k Warning)

Postby MittenNinja » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:12 pm

Good stuff! It's really cool to see someone else take on something I put together. I like the idea of using different colors to simulate the gun firing. I might have to try that at some point.
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby Dukayn » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:06 pm

Very cool. Do we really need to give 56k warnings in 2012? :P
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Ced23Ric » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:18 pm

WRB07-a Warbeast
Combat Role: Pure Melee, Tank
Base Frame: Sand Naga by MittenNinja, Takafashii, by Sqieu.
Specc: 1x Heavy Melee Claw (Rh 2d6+1w8), 1x Portable Void Shield (1B), 1x Thick Armor Plating (-> 2B), G+1w8

Image Image Image

So yeah. Taking it one step further (or back, if you wanna look at it that way), I went back to the original Takafashii Frame by Sqieu, mixed it up with what I learned from doing the first two Frames and then, I made it go into beastmode. I took inspirations for the back from the original, but added my own spin on it. The melee weapon I haven't seen used anywhere so far, it's a completely overthe top fusion-powered double blade, for which I then chose a shield to go with. When I saw the grey dome plate, I fell in love and had to use it. The shield is held by something I attempted to model as a hand grasping it from the inside - four fingers and a thumb, with that horn thing.

Dukayn wrote:Very cool. Do we really need to give 56k warnings in 2012? :P
I give them free of charge. Also, I have the intention of putting 8 Frames with 3 pictures each into this thread, each image clocking in at 100k, making this a 2.4MB page (at least) to load when I am done. I thought it would be fair. The 56k is a joke. But people do know what it means: Lotsa pictures.
Last edited by Ced23Ric on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby potsticker » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:49 pm

Dukayn wrote:Very cool. Do we really need to give 56k warnings in 2012? :P

This. This forever. Even my phone doesn't need to worry about 56k warnings.
potsticker
Talkative

Postby schoon » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Ced23Ric wrote:WRB07-a Warbeast
<snip>

What part did you use for the weapon blades on that? Cool part!
schoon
Site Admin

Postby Ced23Ric » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:15 pm

Feedback, criticism, ideas and, most importantly, stats would be appreciated. Like I said, I have no idea what I am doing here, I just slap things together that I find interesting. Considering that my first lance currently looks like this, what would be a good suggestion for the fourth Frame? Right now, I have:
  • Artillery / 2x OneShot Missles / Weak Melee / Fast Frame
  • Strong Melee / Directfire / Shields / Jumpjets
  • Strong Melee / Shields / Fast Frame
Maybe a slower Frame, with more Direct Fire? I was contemplating something with dual Miniguns in the right arm and a sword in the left, with thick armor plating for a change. Input on that?
potsticker wrote:This. This forever. Even my phone doesn't need to worry about 56k warnings.
I am sorry, I wasn't aware of the offensive potential of a tongue-in-cheek Warning. Over here in Germany, we are still connecting to the internet using a handcrank and carrier pidgeons, so please forgive me. D:
schoon wrote:What part did you use for the weapon blades on that? Cool part!
It's called "CLAW 7M 3.2 STICK". Sadly, I can't find it anywhere. I may have to hunt it down. D:
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Ced23Ric » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:51 pm

ALW29-a Alpha Wolf
Combat Role: Commander, Mixed Melee/Direct Fire
Base Frame: Sand Naga by MittenNinja, Takafashii, by Sqieu.
Specc: 1x Particle Projector Cannon (Rd 2d6), 1x Dual Plasma Blade (Rh 2d6), 1x Armor Plating (1B), 1x Enhanced Comm Suite (1Y)

Image Image Image

And that's the last one. I had this idea for an energy sword, cooked that up and attached it with a fully formed hand, and then I was stuck with a hardpoint and no weapon system that I could think of. So I redid the charging weapon thing I did on my first Frame, and gave this one a PPC - particle projector cannons were my favourite weapons in Battletech. I also added an extended comm array, antennas and what not to show how this is the commanding Frame. How do you stats that?
Last edited by Ced23Ric on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Ced23Ric » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:16 am

So, yeah. Power Armor - din't really owrk out in scale, but I'll revisit that topic. I'm sure I can figure something out. But I made sort of a micro frame - would you think it's possible to deem two of those (always moving together) as one Frame, with shared systems?

MMF12-m Manticore Microframe
Combat Role: Support for larger Frames, narrow urban environments
Base Frame: My first own frame! D: (Counts as one frame, moved as a pair)
Specc: 1x Large Bore Carbines (Rd 2d6), 1x Energized Claws (Rh 2d6), 1x Jumpjets (1G), 1x Radio Sniffer (1Y)

Image Image Image

Deployed in pairs, the Manticore is a Microframe designed to scrounge the narrow valleys of urban areas, sacrificing power for agility. The buddy-system allows the nimble frames to carry a wide array of systems, albeit in smaller versions. Equipped with a fast-firing, low caliber autogun, a miniaturized power claw* and jumpjets, the Manticore packs considerable punch for such a small package. Especially when two Manticores gang up on their larger brothers, it is not unusual for the smaller frames to emerge victorious, especially when they are in their chosen environment full of cover, where they can lay elaborate traps, due to the shared sensor system one of the two carries and their jumpjet engine.

Spec thoughts: 1x Rd2d6, 1x HtH 2d6, 1x Spot 1d6, 1x Movement 1d6. No Defense, they need cover to survive.
Last edited by Ced23Ric on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby potsticker » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:03 pm

Ced23Ric wrote: I am sorry, I wasn't aware of the offensive potential of a tongue-in-cheek Warning. Over here in Germany, we are still connecting to the internet using a handcrank and carrier pidgeons, so please forgive me. D:

Haha. My apologies as well, I may have came off more rude than intended. Tell those carrier pidgeons to keep up the good work providing Internet to guys making interesting frame designs. o>
potsticker
Talkative

Postby Ced23Ric » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:31 pm

This time around, I tried my hand at a superheavy. I know the rules hardly represent this, but I wanted a Frame that would just be menacing, with firepower from here to Mars. This is my second attempt at building a frame from scratch, and I have to say, I am fairly proud of how positionable the legs turned out to be, just like the cockpit and both arms leave room for awesome poses. Without further ado, here goes.

OLV66-b Overlord
Combat Role: Destruction.
Base Frame: Overlord Superheavy Chassis (by yours truly).
Specc: 1x Dumbfire Mortar (Ra 1d6), 1x Gatling Maser (Rd 3d6), 1x Industrial Heavy-Duty Claw (Rh 2d6+1d8), 1x Void Shield Generator (1B). (Yeah, that's 5 systems. Heavy frames, plox? :D)

Image Image Image

So what do we have here? Superheavy 'Frame, with a dedicated combat role: Utter destruction. I equipped him with a giant gatling Maser, support mortars (split system - 1d6 Ra, 1d6 Rd) and a industrial heavy-duty sized arm with four claws (double up system), that can lift things up - or cut them with the palm-integrated short-range plasma beamer. A thick armor plating and a shield generator make sure that the hulking weapons platform survives. To accomodate the weapons officer, the cockpit is elongated, and to be able to see past the massive weapon system, can also be swiveled. There are chin-mounted short-range small-caliber MGs, to fend of pesky infantry to close to engage with the primary weapons, which are dedicated towards ripping frames apart and providing indirect coverfire to push advances. In urban environments, the massive manipulator makes short work of any obstacle that had the unfortunate position of being in the way of the Overlord.

Booyah.

*Vote for Weight Class Rules
Last edited by Ced23Ric on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Ced23Ric » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:11 pm

With all that melee goodness of prior designs, I wanted to try my hand at a long range 'Frame, and this is what I came up with.

MRK91-r Marksman
Combat Role: Long/Mid Range Fire Support
Base Frame: Marksman Chassis (by yours truly).
Specc: 1x LRM4 Rack (Ra 2d6), 1x 1x Ultra AC10 (Rd 2d6), 1x Enhanced Sensor Suite (+1Y), 1x Target Acquistion Laser (+1Y)

Image Image Image

With a vanguard of brawling 'Frames, the Marksman is the precison fire platform that brings swift death to the enemies. Lightly armored and without shields, the Marksman avoids short range engagements at all costs, but provides invalueable battlefield with his extremely sophisticated sensor suite. While most of the long range damage is done by the LRM rack, the UAc10 providesa serious punch should anything approach the 'Frame below his preferred range of engagement. All in all, the Marksman is a backbone 'Frame, that renders all other units more effective, picks off distant enemies and provides support fire when needed.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Ced23Ric » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:09 am

Okay,

so after I build all those 'Frames above, I realized one thing: They all look decent by themselves, but in group pictures, they look like riff-raff. Bundled together, no clear concept, no recognition due to every frame being different. Uniformity looks best in numbers, and so I set out to build a new frame, one that could serve to carry any and all attachments, and after about two hours of piecing things together, checking for posability (is that even a word?), I came up with this:

SVM-01 - Serviceman
Goals: symmetric shape with assymmetric extras; enough hardpoints to attach up to two weapon-systems, colorizeable armor plates all around, sturdy frame, good posability (it's a word now).
Credits: MittenNinjas 'Naga series still - obviously - played a main role when it came to the design of the center torso. For the shoulders, I took some inspiration from Malcom_Craig's MMk-031 'Safir'. The rest is pretty much cooked up by yours truly.

LDD File, for those that use Lego Digital Designer.

Now, on to designing (weapon) systems.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Wadmaasi » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:45 pm

I like the detail of the single-stud exhaust port on the rear of the shoulder missile launchers. That's a great touch.
Wadmaasi
Been Around The Block

Postby Ced23Ric » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:48 pm

Mhmm, lemme take some pictures of actually armed frames. You might like those even better. :D
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Ced23Ric » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:59 pm

SVM-08 Sniper
Combat Role: Long Range Fire Support
Base Frame: Serviceman Chassis (by yours truly).
Specc: 1x Penetrator-Series Sniper Rifle (Ra 2d6), 1x Dumbfire Mortars (Ra 1d6 / Rd 1d6), 1x Ferro-Fibrous Armor (+1B), 1x Jumpjets (+1G)

Image Image Image
LDD File, ohmigawd, lookit that gun.

This variant of the Serviceman 'Frame replaces the left shoulder heatsink with a double-barreled unguided mortar, that has long and mid-range settings. The main armament is the massive hyperslug rifle, which needs to be braced for ideal results, but delivers it's deadly payload accurately downrange. With added armor plates, the 'Frame can effortlessly withstand the sparse return fire his sniper role may credit him, and his jumpjets allow him to move and change positions as needed. Like all Serviceman 'Frames, the SVM-08 has a C3 Slave unit installed, working in concert with sensory data from other 'Frames of the network for even deadlier results.

Deadly Payload. Downrange. Future Weapons. Aww, yeah.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Ced23Ric » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:11 pm

SVM-04 Tank
Combat Role: Long Range Fire Support
Specc: 1x Enforcer-Series Autoslug Launcher (Rd 2d6), 1x Dumbfire Mortars (Ra 1d6 / Rd 1d6), 1x Ferro-Fibrous Armor (+1B), 1x Riot Shield (+1B)

Image Image Image
LDD File, now in desert camo.

Where there Serviceman 'Frame usually as some mobility, this variant drops it all in favor of firepower and durability. Not only does the 'Frame sport the always-present Ferro-Fibrous Armor, he also adds a trimetal shield to the defensive arsenal. Covered in reactive armor cells with heat-resistant coating, this shield can even withstand a full plasmablast by an Ijad sniper quadruped. Often used to cut a lane for lighter-armored 'Frames, the SVM-04 marches ever onwards, under the fire of it's own mortars, which are connected to the C3 Slave unit, for trajectory calculations. In the brutal mid-range, the SVM-04 dishes out volley after volley from his hand-held Autoslug Launcher.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Ced23Ric » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:22 pm

SVM-05 Brawler
Combat Role: Fast Melee Support
Specc: 1x Cleaver-Series Poweraxe & Mace of Tritt (Rh 2d6+1d8), 1x Ferro-Fibrous Armor (+1B), 1x Jumpjets (+1G +1d8)

Image Image Image
LDD File, this time in jungle camo.

Straight forward, this variant is equipped to rush forward at mindblowing speed, jump over obstacles, shrug off enemy fire and rip apart whatever stands in its path. The mace, as a secondary weapon, is meant to ram into hostile 'Frames, hold them steady, so the finishing blow of the larger axe ends the fight with crushing effect. The fusion cell in the back of the primary weapon discharges through the teeth of the axe upon contact with it's target, sending EMP-like shocks through the hull.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Mantisking » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:28 pm

Man, you really like your split range weapons.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Ced23Ric » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:36 pm

I'm just thinking: I can have 3d6 in one range and 1d6 in another range, or 2d6+1d8 in just one. The tactical ability to shell something from far away when I need to, especially since I'll be running a YYB Missile Monkey Spotter, in combination with 2d6W just means that No one can just run away or outflank me. I can always either a) run after him with up to 3d6G+1d8G or b) bombard him, regardless of where he is. ;)
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Next

Return to Frame Designs