Leftover Single Set Challenge dump

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Leftover Single Set Challenge dump

Postby Lorc » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:35 am

In preparation for the new series of Mixels I'm clearing my desk of the old single set challenges. None of these were worth a post of their own so I'm lumping them in together.

I'd had a lot of success with Wizwuz and Mezmo of the purple tribe, so I had high hopes for Magnifo, the last member.

It didn't turn out so great.

My first attempt looks a bit like a mouse with eyebrows. I tried something cute by putting the body at a 45 degree rotation, but I don't think it was worth it.

Second try was a bit better but still nothing exciting. Nice chunky feet, good and stable. It's hard to tell, but the torso is very strangely constructed - it's a curled-up chain of hinges. The bottom slope at the front is a 2*2 inverted and doesn't actually connect to the smooth 2*2 above it.

This set has very few good options for weaponry so I resorted to lightsabre-guns again. At least there were enough pieces for a station.

And our final entry is a repeat of the orange mixel Kraw. When I SSC'd the orange mixel tribe he gave me by far the most trouble of them all, so I didn't even try to make a frame this time. Instead I went for stations.

As always, if I can make two identical things, I do. One on its own can look hodge-podge, while two will look deliberate. So here's two short-range transmitters, plus a long-range transmitter and a receiver station. And only three leftover pieces!
Lorc
Talkative

Re: Leftover Single Set Challenge dump

Postby darksyntax » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:39 pm

Both those Magnifo frames have good silhouettes and if you still have them at hand I wouldn't mind a breakdown pic to see those odd structures you described. Always interested in parts use.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby soriansj » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:31 pm

Agreed, your second attempt for Magnifo was great and I will second that breakdown request.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk
"Fear not the Defigo Hound that has picked up your scent. Fear the Master coming right behind it.
soriansj
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jay Biquadrate » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:47 pm

I'll agree with the rest, I think that you've got the start of something really good here. Even if the frames aren't perfect, single set challenges are supposed to show the limits of what's possible with a small parts selection. Throw one of these frames into a full collection of bricks and they could become something amazing.

I also want to add that even "failures" can be helpful to the community. Exploring techniques and the inspiration of seeing your process can inform all of our building.
Jay Biquadrate
Talkative

Postby Hackjob » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:33 pm

I really like the first version of the Mesmo set, it reminds me of the Stalker assault mech from Battletech, I like the 45 deg rotation. I'm suprised you consider it a failure, esp for a SSC, nice work all around.

-Hackjob
-Hackjob

Here's more: my Flikr
Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Sovietshadow » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:16 am

I have to agree with hack. Even for a ssc, its suprisingly well done, and the second could actually be a true frame (although it could have better weapons). Despite everyone saying the same thing, i would also like a breakdown please
You laugh at fate, and fate will laugh right back at you.
Sovietshadow
Talkative

Postby Mantisking » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:41 am

Hackjob wrote:I'm suprised you consider it a failure, esp for a SSC, nice work all around.

I can understand that. Sometimes what comes out of a SSC doesn't quite match up with what you were hoping to build. I've run into it a few times.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Return to Frame Designs