Single Set Challenge: 41521, 41522, 41523

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Single Set Challenge: 41521, 41522, 41523

Postby darksyntax » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:47 am

My Single Set Challenge builds from the Spikels, the second tribe from Series3 Mixels.

Left to right:
MFZ-41521 "Footi" aka "Mata Mata"
d6W d6W d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh d6B d6B d8G
MFZ-41523 "Hoogi" aka "Komodo"
d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B d6B
MFZ-41522 "Scorpi" aka "Horned Devil"
d6W d6W d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh d8G d8Rr

Thoughts:
- 41521 probably has a better chickenwalker in it than the humanoid biped I built, but I've really been trying to make more humanoid bipeds from my SSCs. The Mata Mata's not bad, just not great.
- The Bat'leth like weapons made from the two large claws need more exploration outside the 41521 SSC. They have a good look to them.
- While the Spikels have the highest overall parts counts of any tribe so far (IIRC), the large amounts of spikes/claws really cuts into the MFZ-parts count.
- I really didn't like 41522. At first blush it looked to be good (lots of SNOT bricks, cheese, and the new bar holder clips, but there's only one new-style ball joint and the new clips are really limited with all the closed-end handle plates. Also the 4 2x4 plates were hard to use. I really don't like the Horned Devil (it's a rather crappy frame), but it's all I could wring out of the set. 41522 makes a better parts pack than a SSC.
- The Komodo is one of my fav SSCs. It really came together better than it had a right to and almost doesn't look like a SSC.
- The Nixel set of any particular tribe continues to be the best due to the additional few good MFZ-parts in always useful black.
- Regardless of what you can make from any of the sets individually, these are great parts packs for light and dark tan.

C&C solicited as always!

Looking forward to messing with the Wiztastics now!
darksyntax
Mod Team

Re: Single Set Challenge: 41521, 41522, 41523

Postby the_norwegian_dalek » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:33 am

I particularly like 'komodo' thogh maybe it would work if you put the nixel face on the body? Just a suggestion.
utrydde, utrydde
the_norwegian_dalek
Young Gun

Postby Mantisking » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:56 am

These all look solid. Nice job.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby The Hydromancer » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:34 am

I really really like the Mata Mata. For a single set challenge, it looks purpose built. I could easily envision them as a lumberjack frame, felling trees with a flick of the wrists. Once bundled, the trees could be secured to the plating on its back for transportation back to a depot. Seeing what you've been able to do here makes me even more excited for the ones I ordered to play around when while downrange. I was worried at first they wouldn't have enough pieces, but now I'm suspect I'll need to order even more!
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
Wears down the cliff tops, the mountains.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_hydromancer/
Master Chubdam Database
Master Solar Union/Federation Fleet Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Bichatse » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:49 pm

Having recently struggled to get anything frame-shaped out of the same set, I would just like to venture that the Komodo is amazing.
Bichatse
Newcomer

Postby mraichelson » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:03 am

These are all so good.
I put together frame building kits (and links to folks selling companies) at MobileFra.me.
mraichelson
Grizzled Veteran

Postby The Hydromancer » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:22 am

I originally posted this Bichatse's thread, but since you are also dropping the mixel challenge I'll pose this idea to you as well.

An idea I've been kicking around for a while that I'd like to try out, and see others as well, is instead of a sing set challenge create a mostly single set challenge. The basic idea would be to design frames that take advantage of the relative cost effectiveness of mixels with other cheap common pieces to design purpose built frames. You'd basically be able to say, 'Hey guys see this great frame? Just buy this one cheap pack, throw in these few other easy to get your hands on pieces, and voila you have frame X, Y, or Z!' The mixels as you've pointed out have some fantastic color schemes, not to mention great over all pieces for frame design, and I think they would work great as core build sets.

Ideally the end product would create super cheap to build and super easy to get frames that are still as sharp as any main stream frame. Imagine how lucky we'd be if lego created a polypack that happened to have the pieces for a Chub or Scrambler....
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
Wears down the cliff tops, the mountains.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_hydromancer/
Master Chubdam Database
Master Solar Union/Federation Fleet Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Mantisking » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:26 am

The Hydromancer wrote:An idea I've been kicking around for a while that I'd like to try out, and see others as well, is instead of a sing set challenge create a mostly single set challenge. The basic idea would be to design frames that take advantage of the relative cost effectiveness of mixels with other cheap common pieces to design purpose built frames. You'd basically be able to say, 'Hey guys see this great frame? Just buy this one cheap pack, throw in these few other easy to get your hands on pieces, and voila you have frame X, Y, or Z!' The mixels as you've pointed out have some fantastic color schemes, not to mention great over all pieces for frame design, and I think they would work great as core build sets.

The idea behind the Single Set Challenge is to build a frame with the parts that are in the box/bag. It's meant to show people that you don't need a ton of parts to build frames that can be used in a game. It also shows people that you can build X frame by buying one set, no fussing with Bricklink/Brick Owl/PaB, etc. (It also has the side effect of sharpening the builders' skills by forcing them to work with a limited supply of bricks.)

The Hydromancer wrote:Ideally the end product would create super cheap to build and super easy to get frames that are still as sharp as any main stream frame. Imagine how lucky we'd be if lego created a polypack that happened to have the pieces for a Chub or Scrambler....

There was the Umbaran MHC polybag.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Bichatse » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:49 am

The Hydromancer wrote:You'd basically be able to say, 'Hey guys see this great frame? Just buy this one cheap pack, throw in these few other easy to get your hands on pieces, and voila you have frame X, Y, or Z!' The mixels as you've pointed out have some fantastic color schemes, not to mention great over all pieces for frame design, and I think they would work great as core build sets.

I like the idea, but I wonder whether Mixels are a good choice; aren't the earlier series already phased out? I don't know how often Lego removes sets from sale, to be fair, but I got the impression that the City and Creator stuff stays around for longer than the Mixels have, and if there's a good-buy-to-start-up set, it'd be nice for it to stick around for a while. I don't know what the situation is like in the US, but around here the first series are all but disappeared and the second slowly diminishing from the S3 bins they were tipped into.

I don't know, maybe Lego phases all of their kits out from sale over time and I'm just being alarmist. ;-)
Bichatse
Newcomer

Postby Cake » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:30 am

Bichatse wrote:I like the idea, but I wonder whether Mixels are a good choice; aren't the earlier series already phased out? I don't know how often Lego removes sets from sale, to be fair, but I got the impression that the City and Creator stuff stays around for longer than the Mixels have, and if there's a good-buy-to-start-up set, it'd be nice for it to stick around for a while. I don't know what the situation is like in the US, but around here the first series are all but disappeared and the second slowly diminishing from the S3 bins they were tipped into.

I don't know, maybe Lego phases all of their kits out from sale over time and I'm just being alarmist. ;-)

From what I've seen, most kits get a shelf life of about 2 years before they're pulled to make way for new stuff. Some kits (like the VW Camper Van) get a longer run before finally disappearing.

I wish LEGO would let people order out of production kits - there's a load of models I'd love to buy, but there's no way in hell I'm paying £600+ for a model that isn't a UCS minifig scale AT-AT.
Rooftop Racing Rules (Version 0.5.0) Version 0.5.1 coming soon, with some tweaks and bits that I missed in 0.5.0.

CK Industries
CK-01 Hephaestus
CK-02 Artemis
Prototype Frames
CK-06 Aries
Cake
Talkative

Postby woodwardiocom » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:40 pm

Cake wrote:I wish LEGO would let people order out of production kits - there's a load of models I'd love to buy, but there's no way in hell I'm paying £600+ for a model that isn't a UCS minifig scale AT-AT.

Yah, some out-of-print Lego kits appreciate in value steadily enough to be sound investments. If you can keep them in your basement and resist opening them.

-JW
woodwardiocom
Talkative

Return to Frame Designs