B-023 Hedgehog

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

B-023 Hedgehog

Postby Blorf » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:58 pm

The B-023 Hedgehog is an aggressively styled base platform for enthusiasts. As such, it has no stock powerplant or arms, but accepts a wide variety of optional and add-on equipment from first- and third-party manufacturers. It is a popular choice for traversing terrain not suitable for wheeled vehicles, and is popular among racing circles. There are examples of weaponized units among free colonies and the Ijad, but no organized military units employ them. Shown here is one such example, with twin 20mm autocannons.

This one went through a lot of development steps, which I took photos of along the way and will share later on. Somewhat unintentionally, it passes the criteria for the "Triple T" challenge, as it uses no travis, pneumatic Ts, or taps.

Image Image Image
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Re: B-023 Hedgehog

Postby FragsturBait » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:37 pm

I made actual noises of appreciation out loud. What a neat little frame. Think we can get a picture of the core? I can rephrase my request "in universe" if you like.

Hello Mr Blorf, my name is FragsturBait and I'm interested in ordering one of your Hedgehog frame platforms. I am a tinkerer and a frame enthusiast, and I have an interest in building a racing frame from your platform. Please respond with pricing structures, shipping details, and a list of available factory add-ons. I look forwards to doing business with you.
FragsturBait
Talkative

Postby Dukayn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:29 pm

Nice, compact frame. I like it.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:02 pm

Thanks!

I made a design process thread for this one, it's over here. I bet you can understand it completely from that (especially since I know you reconstructed the Chunker without a breakdown shot) but if you have trouble, just say so.

But then you had to go and do this:
FragsturBait wrote:Hello Mr Blorf, my name is FragsturBait and I'm interested in ordering one of your Hedgehog frame platforms. I am a tinkerer and a frame enthusiast, and I have an interest in building a racing frame from your platform. Please respond with pricing structures, shipping details, and a list of available factory add-ons. I look forwards to doing business with you.

Mr. FragsturBait,

Thank you for your interest in our B-023 Hedgehog frame platform. This kit frame is a base platform and does not have configurable options which are installed from the factory. (If you require fully-developed frames which are ready for use upon delivery, please contact a sales associate who will assist you with your inquiry.) However, the frame itself is highly configurable in the form of separately-purchased equipment tailored to your needs, which may be installed upon delivery by any Qualified Service Technician. For atmospheric racing, we recommend the VRX-9970 Performance Alcohol Powerplant and N52 Regulated Stabilizer Kit, alongside our XtremePower 1500G—rated #1 ECU by the Jovian Frame Rally Commission every year since SC0238. A HANS+ Pilot Safety System is also required by most regulated racing bodies.

Our complete kit-frame catalog is attached which details our entire current lineup of frames and accessories including pricing and mass/dimensions. As with all of our kit frames, we conform to the SUSO-1360 standard which provides access to over 2,350 different parts in 52 colors from a wide variety of manufacturers.

For any of our kit frames, we guarantee to-gate delivery within 72 hours. We primarily ship from Leda, but limited quantities are available from several stock houses up to two hops out. Standard gate rates and timing apply; consult your local TTA for applicable information pertinent to your location.

P.S. We would like to assure you that recent reports of 'bending' are misunderstandings of proper frame storage procedures and do not represent structural failure of the frame's design.

[download attachment: Blorf Frameworks-Kit Frames&Accessories Catalog SC0245.vxdf]
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby FragsturBait » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:32 am

[Auto decryption enabled]

[Begin decoded message]

Mr Blorf,

Apologies for the deception, we thought you might not be willing to talk to Free Colony agents. Thanks to the documents you provided we were able to reverse engineer your frame core. We also thought you'd at least like to see what we've done to your platform. It is a very versatile core, and very easy to work on. We've added a pair of heavy cannon and upgraded the shoulders to support them, as well as extra armor on the legs, which seemed a little fragile. We especially like the asymmetric body design, and how it's been able to carry every missile we've dropped into it. We finally settled on a trio of micro-missile pods. Each one is capable of launching 50 high velocity armor piercing micro missiles. A full salvo is quite impressive.

No further communication is required, although we do occasionally check this inbox if you wish to do so. The risk is yours. Good luck in your future endeavors.

-F

[1 image attached:]

[end message]

FragsturBait
Talkative

Postby Blorf » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:47 am

[begin message (encryptedmessage ANTARES r90.2.47.012)
expires-after-open: 00m 00d 00:05:00.00
expires-after-send: 00m 01d 00:00:00.00
expires-self-destroy: true]

F—

I see that you're new to us.

Beware of altering the leg structure. The current design keeps mass to a minimum within the unit's stated carry capacity, but alterations by some have led to stability issues. It's often best to replace them if you intend to carry a greater amount, or consider one of our more robust platforms. Since you've used the side core compartment for armament, I trust you found the firewall installable to the alternate undocumented location and the resulting rear-core compartment suitable for your powerplant? If not, please do look into this as it is an important safety concern should your powerplant or fuel supply sustain piercing damage from any activities you engage in.

You might be interested in vxdecrypt 9973.12FB 56CB.38A6 00FF.43FC 74DB.4344 on page 36 at coordinate B4. There are additional components available which may interest you.
We aim to please. Use responsibly.

[end message]

Awesome! Can I see what you've done to the back? It looks interesting.

The neck bracket on the leg that holds the tooth plate actually has a stabilizing role; I found that the lamp holder underneath came loose a bit too much. The bracket limited angular motion, which meant it worked itself loose much less often. It would be super difficult to bulk that up using stud attachments without wrecking the profile. The tooth plate was kind of a 'hey, I have a stud here now' greeble.

Another change you've got there is reverting to flat across the front and sides of the core like the early development builds. Did you like it better without the hinge plate and offset front slopes? (I really like the offset slopes.)

I almost put a bar plate up top like that, but didn't like it with the rest of the core. Yours works well though since you've bulked the top up a bit more.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Atavism » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:28 pm

To: Tech Support
Sub: PLEASE HELP

so i got one of ur B-021 hegehog frames from this old guy down the street who never finished fixing it up lol and it had some sweet old style legs and I got some astromax racing pistons and really pimped it and its pretty cool and ive been racign it and im doing really well

so anyway my boy sent me a link to a system upgrade that said it would really inhance my preformance and i hadnt heard of it but the site said that thats because you didnt want me to find out how to inhance my preformance for free and so i loaded it up and i asked my boy about it and he said no he didnt but i started it up anyway and it started doing this and it wont stop

so the fire marshall was a big jerk about it and he dragged it out of town and he says that if it wont stop hell have to intome it in concrete pls help!!!

-The Chet Man
<<I'M THE BIG DOGG>>

ps is my warrantee still good???
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:29 am

Hahah! That's fantastic.

I really like what you did with it. The "Astromax" looks totally natural there (though I might have put the exhaust port on the engine side). The legs are great—pulling from the development work to hybridize a monstrosity was not something I expected at all! Yet you've taken their awkwardness and somehow worked it into a believable "pre-production" aesthetic. Nicely done!

Mr. Man,

We strive to create the highest quality frame platforms on the market and are sorry you're experiencing trouble. The failure you describe seems to be caused by a failure with the powerplant. The B-023 Hedgehog is sold without a powerplant, so you would need to contact the manufacturer of that component to obtain warranty coverage. We recommend you contact a Qualified Service Technician in your area. Our QSTs are as adept with salvage/recycling as they are with repairs.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby aurlaent » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:57 pm

This is awesome. You should clone this to Fan Fiction or something!
aurlaent
Talkative

Postby Atavism » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:03 pm

Blorf wrote:Our QSTs are as adept with salvage/recycling as they are with repairs.

:lol:

Chet is gonna be suuuper bummed.
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby FragsturBait » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:44 am

Blorf wrote:Awesome! Can I see what you've done to the back? It looks interesting.

Blorf wrote:The neck bracket on the leg that holds the tooth plate actually has a stabilizing role;

I discovered this as I was working on it. It stands well enough for pictures without it, but I would never take it to the table. I put that 1x1 tile over the end of the headlight brick instead. It serves a similar purpose even if it doesn't function quite as well.

Blorf wrote:Another change you've got there is reverting to flat across the front and sides of the core like the early development builds. Did you like it better without the hinge plate and offset front slopes? (I really like the offset slopes.)

I felt like it suited the style I was after a bit better. I actually switched back and forth between the hinge plate and flat sides a couple of times while I was building this thing.

Blorf wrote:I almost put a bar plate up top like that, but didn't like it with the rest of the core. Yours works well though since you've bulked the top up a bit more.

I actually had a 1x2 with clips attached for some extra greeblyness, but it made it too back heavy.
FragsturBait
Talkative

Postby Artasid » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:52 pm

As I previously promised Blorf I would make a Hedgehog, I now wish to share it, though it is not as grandiose as some of the others here.

ImageHedgeog
Hedgehog: d6Rh d6Rh Big Fist, d6Rd d6Rd Miniguns, d6G Exhaused Port.
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Aardvark17 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:06 pm

I really like the look of that hand!
The smokestack-looking things in silver are awesome, and the two-colored design works great, too!
(Could we see another angle of the hand?)
Aardvark17
Been Around The Block

Postby Artasid » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:43 pm

Aardvark17 wrote:I really like the look of that hand!
The smokestack-looking things in silver are awesome, and the two-colored design works great, too!
(Could we see another angle of the hand?)

Per your request:

ImageHedgehog alt view
ImageFist Parts

Please note that the fist is more about appearance than actual function. With these current parts, the fingers bend in odd directions, and the thumb is practically stationary unless you slide the digit piece to the edge of the bar it's clipped to, but even then it's motion is limited by the angle of the bar.

Hope this helps 8-)
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Aardvark17 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:03 pm

Yes, thank you!
It's a very interesting build, and even if it isn't functional, it still looks phenomenal!
Very clever use of that studded gun part :D
Aardvark17
Been Around The Block

Postby Blorf » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:37 am

That's a really nice take on it. The color blocking suits it, and really emphasizes how the core is constructed from two distinct components. As Aardvark17 points out, the hand is really nice. I'm glad you kept the hinge plate and the offset slopes at the front. Those are my favorite features of the original and yours is the first remake to keep them. Thanks for sharing!
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Raedien » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:13 pm

I'll have to see what I can reinforce after building this. Nice work.
Raedien
Chatty

Postby pepitosegrilla » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:37 pm

Blorf wrote:The B-023 Hedgehog is an aggressively styled base platform for enthusiasts. As such, it has no stock powerplant or arms, but accepts a wide variety of optional and add-on equipment from first- and third-party manufacturers. It is a popular choice for traversing terrain not suitable for wheeled vehicles, and is popular among racing circles. There are examples of weaponized units among free colonies and the Ijad, but no organized military units employ them. Shown here is one such example, with twin 20mm autocannons.

This one went through a lot of development steps, which I took photos of along the way and will share later on. Somewhat unintentionally, it passes the criteria for the "Triple T" challenge, as it uses no travis, pneumatic Ts, or taps.

Image Image Image

Very nice indeed. A bit convoluted for my taste, but very catchy. Nice colors too
pepitosegrilla
Chatty

Postby pepitosegrilla » Mon May 01, 2017 11:44 am

This is my favorite type of mech/frame... De-humanized (no human-like head or limbs), "uggly", military looking, Battletech-ish... And I like your iteration very much
pepitosegrilla
Chatty

Postby KungFujiApple » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:53 pm

Really solid frame, has a very "complete" look to it, especially for a smaller sized frame. Very nice use of color too.
- KFA frame compilation
KungFujiApple
Grizzled Veteran

Next

Return to Frame Designs