Single Set Challenge: 30300

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Single Set Challenge: 30300

Postby darksyntax » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:35 pm

Been wanting to take an SSC shot at 30300 for a while as the part count and part selection looked promising after Shades_Corvid's review and Mantisking's review, but business travel and work in general have severely hampered my Lego time. Regardless, I picked up a 30300 polybag and messed with it while on travel. The hotel room pics are crap, but here goes.

Dual railgun arty with solar-powered pumping station

Soldier with comms relay station

Some thoughts:
-The out-of-the-bag Tumbler is better and bigger than I'd expected; a rather nice model from TLG.
- While the parts count is high for a $5US polybag, the axle assemblies really cut into that (-10pcs for most vehicle sets). While you can get some mileage from them as guns, I've found that because of axel assemblies vehicles sets almost always lose a 'star' in my rating.
- Black sucks: for pics and for noticeable detail on the table.
- There are two black flags.
- Far from my best or favorite SSC, you can do something frame/station-wise with this set.

C&C solicited as always.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Re: Single Set Challenge: 30300

Postby Riptor25 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:44 am

Yeah. Try as I might, I simply couldn't make a frame I liked out of this set. In the end I made a few Intercept Orbit ships, and was happier with that. Vehicle sets seem more cut out for IO from what I can see. Still, this is miles ahead of anything I could make from it, so definite kudos to you on that!
A [Single-Set] Challenger has appeared!
"Use your head you can success. Price may discount, BUT enjoy never discount." The Boot-Lego guarantee.
Riptor25
Talkative

Re: Single Set Challenge: 30300

Postby Mantisking » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:38 am

Riptor25 wrote:Yeah. Try as I might, I simply couldn't make a frame I liked out of this set. In the end I made a few Intercept Orbit ships, and was happier with that. Vehicle sets seem more cut out for IO from what I can see. Still, this is miles ahead of anything I could make from it, so definite kudos to you on that!

Yeah, I couldn't really make it work either. Great job, darksyntax.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Return to Frame Designs