New to this, building my company

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

New to this, building my company

Postby dedguy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:47 am

This is all just introduction. If you're just interested in the mechs skip to past the line.

I was big into Lego as a kid and while I continued an interest in toys into my adult, for whatever reason I packed up my Lego and put it into storage. About six months back I started buying Lego again (mostly Creator sets) and that lead eventually to getting my 70lb. or so of Lego out of storage. Since then I have been slowly re-learning how to build out of Lego. In my day job I'm a visual designer and illustrator and I'm very much a big believer in research and reference. I took that same approach with this and in my searching I ran across MFZ.

This was quite a discovery for me. I have been interested in Warhammer 40k ever since I learned of it (I also enjoy painting miniatures as a hobby) but the very high prices on that stuff always kept me away. Then I find MFZ which is both a table top strategy game AND Lego mechs. It couldn't be a more perfect hobby for me.

———————————————————————————————

This is what I have so far. I'm aiming at building one of each type I want then figuring out what parts I need to make more and ordering what I need. These are all based on and inspired by a variety of things. In most cases the builds differ from the source of inspiration due to lack of the right parts, lack of being able to figure out how it was built, or just interest in making something different. Most notably the vehicles were based on Zizy's Vehicles, the small frame was based on these ultramarines from the No BS Just ABS blog, and the large frame was based very loosely one soren's Chub. If anyone notices something very similar to something they built and I didn't mention you sorry. I like to give credit but I have looked at so many photos at this point I sort of have lost track.

My company right now I'm calling "The Acolytes of the Undying Frame" which I culled from the semi-inadvertent orange color scheme and the bird emblems on the Galaxy Squad stickers I used. These both evoked a Phoenix to me and thus "Undying Flame". I wanted to give them a dark insidious purpose with a bit of medieval style zealotry. Think something like the Necromonger's from Riddick.

For the core frame of the company I wanted a modular base that I could attach different heads, armor, and weapons to.

ImageUndying Flame Frame with armor and weapons. by dangercorpse, on Flickr

This is a slightly modified version of the above. I wasn't too happy with it's stability and I made some alteration to improve it's strength and ability to stand. I also kinda dig the new feet which also give it a bird-like aspect I think is apt given the Phoenix theme.

ImageUndying Flame Mobile Frame by dangercorpse, on Flickr

For this I started with the idea that I wanted some sort of transport truck for my acolytes to load captured unbelievers into. I ran across Zizy's amazing vehicles and after looking at the photos for quite awhile I used some of the techniques he seemed to use to make a properly scaled seven stud truck.
ImageUndying Flame Transport by dangercorpse, on Flickr

The back opens and has enough room to stand six stud humans inside (what I use for normal non-armored civilians)
ImagePotential Converts Being Rounded Up by dangercorpse, on Flickr

This is a possible station. It's a little larger than the standard size and I guess it could also just be used as cover. It's meant to be a semi-mobile temple. I'm rather fond of the look of the Predicants (Priests).
ImageUndying Flame Temple by dangercorpse, on Flickr

This is my current group of infantry with a smaller scale frame and a hummer. The hummer is based more heavily on Zizy's vehicles than the truck but I have no idea if it's built anything close to how his are built.
ImageUndying Flame Infantry by dangercorpse, on Flickr

And, everything together thus far.
ImageMobile Frame Zero: Acolytes of the Undying Flame by dangercorpse, on Flickr

I'm pretty close to nailing down each model I want for my company. I want to make an additional frame with a less human profile and I want to put some more work into station ideas. I also need to make some cover, I'm thinking tin shack style hovels as the civilian homes. Oh and I need to convince some of my friends to get into this as well. Shouldn't be too hard since we all seemed to get back into Lego at the same time recently.
dedguy
Newcomer

Re: New to this, building my company

Postby Ced23Ric » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:49 am

This is hutching GORGEOUS. I mean it. Well done, good sir. Well hutching done.
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Cake » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:38 am

Ced23Ric wrote:This is hutching GORGEOUS. I mean it. Well done, good sir. Well hutching done.

I whole heartedly agree with this.

Also, the unarmoured frame in the first picture just looks so sinister. It's brilliant!
Rooftop Racing Rules (Version 0.5.0) Version 0.5.1 coming soon, with some tweaks and bits that I missed in 0.5.0.

CK Industries
CK-01 Hephaestus
CK-02 Artemis
Prototype Frames
CK-06 Aries
Cake
Talkative

Postby Scrape » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:40 am

Wow, what an amazing set of photos. You've got a great aesthetic going on and I love all the microscale people with their little outfits and whatnot. I like that you proudly show off your influences- I can see the zizy and see the WH40K influence (the religious zealotry, mostly). I really do like an army with a theme and you've come up with a whole faction. Great work!
Scrape
Been Around The Block

Postby Foghammer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:04 am

Excuse me, but uhm...

...where did you get your decals? Stickers or water-slide?

Also, lovely builds. I'm especially fond of your color scheme and your 6p figs (the robes, brilliant).
Foghammer
Old Guard

Postby Ced23Ric » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:33 am

"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby gusindor » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:19 am

These all look really cool! They would look even better if the photos weren't black-on-black.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Zerovirus » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:26 am

Those are some great designs. A little bit on the tall side, but it's obvious nevertheless you know what you're doing.
Zerovirus
Been Around The Block

Postby eatrepeat » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:48 am

dedguy wrote:I was big into Lego as a kid and while I continued an interest in toys into my adult, for whatever reason I packed up my Lego and put it into storage. About six months back I started buying Lego again and that lead eventually to getting my 70lb. or so of Lego out of storage.

This was quite a discovery for me. I have been interested in Warhammer 40k ever since I learned of it but the very high prices on that stuff always kept me away. Then I find MFZ which is both a table top strategy game AND Lego mechs. It couldn't be a more perfect hobby for me.

O.o (is this guy stealing my identity?) Very familiar, dedguy, almost to familiar... You'll fit right in! Really though, all jokes aside MFZ put a huge breath of life into me by getting me back into Lego. I think many on this sight have the same feeling. We are a demographic that denied our passion until called back to the brickingdom :p

dedguy wrote: Most notably the vehicles were based on Zizy's Vehicles, the small frame was based on these ultramarines from the No BS Just ABS blog, and the large frame was based very loosely one soren's Chub.

For the core frame of the company I wanted a modular base that I could attach different heads, armor, and weapons to.

ImageUndying Flame Frame with armor and weapons. by dangercorpse, on Flickr

This is a slightly modified version of the above. I wasn't too happy with it's stability and I made some alteration to improve it's strength and ability to stand. I also kinda dig the new feet which also give it a bird-like aspect I think is apt given the Phoenix theme.

ImageUndying Flame Mobile Frame by dangercorpse, on Flickr

Truck? Man that is cool! Did I hear right? The kool-aid is free!? Hehehe. Love the DreV micro infantry corralli... erm [i]gathering[i] the believers :)
Really digging that larger frame, having trouble seeing CHUB but if you say it was the springboard I can believe. Parts supply may have guided you but this is a result that does not hint at such. Kudos for that! I can see the leg modifications being more sturdy but the new bird feet are the one part I kinda wonder if it could be slimmed a bit. Playable over movable is best so if you cannot so be it. Still looks great all armoured up and that actually helps the feet fit in.
Great frame to pick out from NoBS, sort of the grunt frame you thinking? Fun stuff NoBS has a bunch of great things, did you read about you he makes infantry into stated squads and such? I never had the drive to do that but it does look cool and it makes the tabletop look great!
Welcome, thanks for sharing and have fun!
If my Frames stay out of the Star Wars universe...
eatrepeat
Been Around The Block

Postby Blorf » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:38 pm

Nicely assembled! You've clearly put a lot of thought into almost everything here, and are getting great results.

When shooting black parts, bump up the exposure a bit so there's more detail there. Black parts start to get lost in shadow pretty quickly. (Of course you can also use the effect to your advantage and help minimize the visual effect of certain parts such as those added only for support/stability.)

Pretty familiar story except most of my collection is still, unfortunately, in storage.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby dedguy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:07 pm

Thanks all for the kind words. I'm still refining these, the large frame in particular still needs work. On the large frame the arms are still a bit floppy and I'm not terribly happy with the look of the knees. The legs are actually quite stable at this point but the knees look way too insubstantial for the leg. I'm thinking maybe I could replace them with a pair of hinge plates for each knee.

In terms of the colors. I definitely agree. I like working in black for that very reason. It allows me to think about and refining silhouette without color choice getting in the way. I plan on incorporating dark gray and maybe some light gray as well once I have finalized the designs.
dedguy
Newcomer

Postby FragsturBait » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:39 pm

BATMAN wrote:I only work in black, and sometimes very dark grey

All jokes aside, this is some beautiful work. You can use travis bricks in the upper legs and forearms to fight size creep. IMO this would shorten it a little bit without messing with your aesthetic. You work with what you have though, I got lucky when my LEGO store had a case of them hiding away from the PAB wall. I'd like to see more of your mini-frame, he was peeking in from the corner in that one shot with the car but I feel he deserves his own time in the spotlight.
FragsturBait
Talkative

Postby dedguy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:46 pm

It's VERY similar to these.

https://nobsjustabs.wordpress.com/2012/ ... -part-two/

I made a few minor mods. He and the hummer are the most recent additions and the least refined/altered. I'm also not terribly fond of his color scheme atm.

Oh and the problem with the black and white color scheme is when the black is exposed for the white is blown out. I could probably do some HDRs though to compensate for that.
dedguy
Newcomer

Postby DRevD » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:25 am

This looks great
I'm a sucker for dioramas with people and vehicles next to frames.
DRevD
Been Around The Block

Postby dedguy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:53 am

Thanks a lot. I believe your 7-stud humans are where I got the design for the ones I made from. The use of an antenna was genius.
dedguy
Newcomer

Postby SeraphimKnight » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:02 am

Great job on the frame. Really liking that white-on black modular design.
SeraphimKnight
Talkative

Postby dedguy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:51 pm

I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome. I have posted on numerous forums and varied forums over the years. This is by far the nicest reaction to any first post I have ever made.
dedguy
Newcomer

Postby Ced23Ric » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:01 pm

dedguy wrote:I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome. I have posted on numerous forums and varied forums over the years. This is by far the nicest reaction to any first post I have ever made.

You'll notice that many of us are secretly bears in disguise. We a portly, hairy beings that like to hug things both as a manner of intimidation and to rub our scent on them.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby FragsturBait » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:06 pm

dedguy wrote:I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome. I have posted on numerous forums and varied forums over the years. This is by far the nicest reaction to any first post I have ever made.

We don't get people to play the game or contribute to the community by being assholes to each other. That's the big reason why I tend to stay away from most gaming forums, video or physical.
FragsturBait
Talkative

Postby gusindor » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:47 pm

Ced23Ric wrote:

You'll notice that many of us are secretly bears in disguise. We a portly, hairy beings that like to hug things both as a manner of intimidation and to rub our scent on them.

That sums up my gaming friends a lot better than I expected.:lol:
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Next

Return to Frame Designs