Single Set Challenge: 31021

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Single Set Challenge: 31021

Postby darksyntax » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:03 am

A Single Set Challenge shot at 31021.

I've had this set sitting around for a few weeks, but hadn't had time to crack it open. I've been excited to SSC this set since it was revealed months ago due to the parts list. I knew it was good, but it wasn't until I spread out the parts and took inventory for the SSC that realized just how good this set is for MFZ. SO MANY small parts (1x1 and 1x2 plates), tons of curves, and lots of clips/handles. As I was building frames, the only parts I found myself really wanting were 1x1 round plates and 1x1 round bricks/cones.

With 285 pcs (296 w/ extras) I wanted to get 4 frames and 2 stations: a playable company. I don't think there's enough parts for another asset.
I set a few goals:
- of the four frames, create at least 2 of the same for a more cohesive company look
- load out the frames: 2x Soldiers, 1 HtH, 1 Arty
- use all those curves to max effect and make the frames as smooth and finished looking as possible
I managed 2 "Auk" and 2 "Silverback" frames that look pretty good together. Did I mention how great the inventory is? The set is mostly white & black, but there are 5 magenta pcs; I wanted to use them as a company color highlight, but it just looked funny.

After the frames, I wanted to keep the smooth finished look so ditched my go-to comms tower (I did build one, but didn't keep it; there are enough parts for a tower). The white launcher/comms base came together quickly, but the grey one took some time as I was running low on parts.

Left to right:
"Auk" Soldier - autocannon, comm's antenna, jumpjet, side armor
d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d6Y d6G d6B
"Silverback" HtH - energy cannon (microwave? sonic?), comms antenna, pauldron, shield
d6W d6W d6Rh d6Rh d6Y d6B d6B d8G
"Silverback" Soldier - autocannon, comms antenna, pauldron, jumpjet
d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d6Y d6B d6G
"Auk" Arty - twin howitzers, comm's antenna, satellite uplink dish
d6W d6W d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra d6Y d6Y

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

I like the look of this company and would not hesitate to drop it on the table for a game. Overall the frames and stations are solid game pieces, especially the Silverbacks. The only thing missing for play are flags and SSRs, you could make a few flags like the ones from my PaB Cup challenge or my C6 Companies rather easily and there are lots of options for SSRs. The inventory and price point on this set can't be beat. This set plus a Mixels set or a creator set like 31013 or 31014 and you'd have plenty for a 4-5 frame company and options for loadouts.

With the large slopes and a couple 2x6 and 2x8 plates, I think you could get a couple ships from this set for IO, but you'd need stands, aces, and the rest of the bits needed to play.

I think we have a contender for the title of "2014 MFZ starter set".

C&C solicited as always.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Re: Single Set Challenge: 31021

Postby Batzorig » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:13 am

Perhaps this is a problem on my end, but there don't appear to be any images of your work in the opening post...? Anyone else can confirm if it's just me?
Batzorig
Chatty

Postby darksyntax » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:17 am

Sorry, I was still editing the post. All good now.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:54 pm

darksyntax wrote:I think we have a contender for the title of "2014 MFZ starter set".

Hmmnn, I'll have to give it a look. Nice job, as always.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Red_Robot » Thu May 01, 2014 1:23 pm

Your "economy of brick" is impressive as usual, DS. Not just frames, but duplicates to give company design cohesion. Plus I like that your Silverbacks have a silhouette very reminiscent of the old Classics from Mechaton days.

But I think I am most impressed with the stations you pulled out for this set. I really like that second station you put together, the one with the radar dish on top. That would look great with any company, parts limitation or not.
When the Weepers first came through the gate, we didn't know why. We only knew that they were angry.
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Return to Frame Designs