[Single Set Challenge] Cuusoo Curiosity Rover

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

[Single Set Challenge] Cuusoo Curiosity Rover

Postby Salda007 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:34 pm

Hey everyone! Last month I picked up the LEGO Cuusoo NASA Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover, the first set I'd purchased in probably about 15 years, because space. As I was building it, I noted that it had a lot of the functional parts I've seen people using for MF0 builds, and guessed that I could probably field a squad just using the one set. When my wife and I were planning on heading to Arisia, I decided to beat my plowshare into swords and built "Cat-killer" Squadron ("Curiosity", after all). We didn't wind up going (tickets sold out), but I thought I'd share the squad with you all.

As it turned out, the limiting factor was a lack of small structural pieces rather than small functional ones. As a result, the frames are a bit smaller than average, and I'm not really thrilled with how the legs turned out. On the other hand, the arms on the three humanoid frames all connect to back-to-back headlight bricks, so they're completely interchangeable between frames. So, given that I haven't actually fielded this squad (or any squad) in combat yet, assume that all of these specs are provisional.

Cat-Killer Squadron

Commander:
Front view
3/4ths view
Back 3/4ths view
specs:
d6Y (comms antenna)
d6B (shoulder/chest armor)
d6Rd d6Rd (side-mount laser)
d6Ra d6Rd (heavy pulse rifle)
d8Rr (head-mount "Gemini" rocket pack)

Melee:
Front view
3/4ths view
Back 3/4ths view
specs:
d6B d6B (shoulder/chest armor, shield)
d6G (jetpack)
d8G (no ranged)
d6Rh d6Rh (battle axe)

Mobile Strike:
Front view
3/4ths view
Back 3/4ths view
specs:
d6G d6G (leg-mount boosters)
d6Rd d6Rd (side-mount laser)
d6Rd d6Rh (heavy pistol)
d8Rr (head-mount "Gemini" rocket pack)
(Note: this frame is probably the most flexible in terms of stats as-built. I could very easily see combining the two leg boosters into one d6G to either drop a system for low team at start of game, or to add the shoulder dish as d6B (armor) or d6Y (sensor dish) instead.

Artillery:
Front view
3/4ths view
Back 3/4ths view
specs:
d6Y d6Y (leg-mounted radar domes, comms antenna)
d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra (heavy shock cannon)
d8Rr (side-mount "Gemini" rocket pack)
(Similarly, this could drop the d6Y (radar) in favor of d6G (quad legs) or d6B (armored legs). )

The leftover parts yielded some terrain for cover and two sensor masts to defend.

Anyway, these are my first MF0 builds, so I'd love to hear your feedback. And, like it says in the header, this is a Single Set Challenge, since these are pretty much the only LEGO I have currently.
Salda007
Newcomer

Re: [Single Set Challenge] Cuusoo Curiosity Rover

Postby darksyntax » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:53 pm

Nice! I like that little chicken walker and the quad. The gold grills over the hollow studs make a nice greeble on the quad's cannon.

Don't forget to add your SSCs to the stickied topic.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby gusindor » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:23 pm

I like how even though the builds are different, the matching "heads" and colors really make them look like a group.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Cheeso » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:25 pm

Very cool, I was wondering about this set and you certainly got a lot out of it. I would recommend you use these in a 4p scale
Cheeso
Newcomer

Postby Salda007 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:05 pm

Cheeso wrote:Very cool, I was wondering about this set and you certainly got a lot out of it. I would recommend you use these in a 4p scale

Yeah, there are a lot of functional pieces: eight(!) headlight blocks, a travis, three pneumatic Ts, two octagons, a number of clips of various types (not more than 2 of most types, though), three or four of the grey pistol-looking bits with the holes in them (not sure what they're called; there's one on the back-left of the rover), several claw-tools, a pair of hatchets, half a dozen binoculars... Practically an MF0 starter pack. Just needs an infusion of small bricks and plates and maybe a bunch of those spout pieces everyone uses for joints. Plus your preferred flavor of greebles and transparent bits (the set just has two 1x1 round red trans plates).

They'd probably be OK on a 5p scale, if you call them Ijad and assume the pilot of the artillery frame is not paired with a human. The Commander (w/o antenna) and Melee frames are just short of six bricks tall, the Artillery's about 5.5, and the Mobile Strike is about 7.
Salda007
Newcomer

Return to Frame Designs