Single Set Challenge: Small PaB Cup

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Single Set Challenge: Small PaB Cup

Postby darksyntax » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:25 am

The idea of a Small PaB Cup challenge ala Mantiskings's Single Set Challenge came up in a post on the Mobile Frame Zero Fans Facebook group a few weeks back. I finally got around to trying my hand at it.

I wanted to push this challenge as far as I could so I set my goal at 5 frames (with frames of all range configs and 3 SSR's) & 3 stations (w/ flags).

I dropped by my local PaB Wall and scoped out the current inventory (including the smaller quantities of leftovers they keep behind the counter). Once I had an idea of what was there, I mulled it over for a day (no pre-designs, no cad) making a plan: I knew I wanted to maximize hinges, handles, clips, slopes, offset (jumper plates) and SNOT, but make sure I had enough basics like 1x1 round plates, 1x2 plates, and 1x1/1x2 bricks. For stations I knew I needed 4x4plates or something I could make a 4x4plate from and maybe a few large bricks. For color I wanted mostly a grey/black/white palette and a highlight color or two. I chose pink as there were 4 pcs in that color and it covered most of my basic brick needs. There were several pcs in tan so I grabbed some of that too thinking it would be an alternate to pink and if it came to it, pink and tan look ok together. I went back the next day (before the inventory changed too much) and picked up this. The yellow jumper plates didn't mesh with my colors, but I grabbed a few just in case (didn't end up using them).

This is the cup I ended up with; stacked for max capacity.

And with the contents arrayed.

5 frames & 3 stations (w/ flags) (Still working on frame and company name.)

5 frames (left to right):
Soldier frame - d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6Y d6G (assault cannon, leg armor, comm's pod, jump jets)
Soldier frame - d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6Y d6G (assault cannon, leg armor, comm's pod, jump jets)
Command frame - d6Y d6Y d6B d8G d8Rr d8Rr d8Rr (2x comm's pods, leg armor, 3x SSRs)
Hand-to-hand frame - d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh d6B d6B d8G (2x Tesla Shockers (tm), leg armor, top reactive armor panels)
Arty frame - d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra d6B d6G (2x long range cannons, leg armor, jump jets)

3 stations (w/ flags) (left to right):
Power Generator, Comm's Tower, Anti-Air Guns

Here's a breakdown of the core frame design.

Final thoughts:
- I think my planning for brick types and colors was time well spent and will be my guided if I do this again.
- For $8 this has got to be the cheapest company I've built.
- Even with the limitations, I like this frame. And the stations came out a little cleaner than most I've built in SSC's.

C&C solicited as always.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Re: Single Set Challenge: Small PaB Cup

Postby mraichelson » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:47 am

That's a great company for $8. Very impressed.
I put together frame building kits (and links to folks selling companies) at MobileFra.me.
mraichelson
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Yoritomo Jiriki » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:27 am

your LEGO store's PaB wall is so much interesting than my local LEGO store's PaB wall! Very impressive and creative.
Yoritomo Jiriki
Newcomer

Postby addking » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:15 am

Wow, those look super good. A lot of time the frames aren't matched well and are kinda janky, but you nailed it here. The only thing I don't like is the pink rounds breaking up the cannon on the soldiers - since it breaks the 'rail' effect of the handles on the 1x1 w/ handles in the cannon. Otherwise, I'd field those.
addking
Talkative

Postby Cheeso » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:01 pm

I'm really impressed with how good these frames look, especially in terms of color coordination. I wish my PaB wall had pieces this good!
Cheeso
Newcomer

Postby Mantisking » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:49 pm

Damn, dude. Stop making the rest of us look bad. :lol: The only questions I have is about how you stacked your pieces for the cup. I'm assuming you used that ladder stack for the 1x2 plates just for the pictures. Did you use a spiral stack for the 1x2 Plates w/Vert. Arm or loose pack them?
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby darksyntax » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:00 pm

Thanks for all the kind words! Hopefully the take away here is just how much you can do on the cheap with a PaB Wall and a little planning (understanding the types & colors of pcs needed for frame building, maximizing the cup contents) and not what one builder was able to do.

Yoritomo Jiriki wrote:your LEGO store's PaB wall is so much interesting than my local LEGO store's PaB wall!

Cheeso wrote:I wish my PaB wall had pieces this good!

I have to admit that my local is pretty good, but I make suggestions every time I go in. They always ask what I'm looking for and I make sure to tell them: "SNOT bricks, small pcs with handles/clips, SNOT bricks, small slopes, SNOT bricks, basic small pcs in odd colors, SNOT bricks..." :D
If you want to make specific suggestions take a look at what's on walls in other stores (there are a couple of trackers, but I prefer Wall of Bricks); if one store has it, another can order it.

addking wrote:The only thing I don't like is the pink rounds breaking up the cannon on the soldiers - since it breaks the 'rail' effect of the handles on the 1x1 w/ handles in the cannon.

I was trying to break up the gun so it wouldn't look like just another big box like the arty cannons, but I think you're right.

Mantisking wrote:The only questions I have is about how you stacked your pieces for the cup. I'm assuming you used that ladder stack for the 1x2 plates just for the pictures. Did you use a spiral stack for the 1x2 Plates w/Vert. Arm or loose pack them?

Actually, I usually ladder stack 1x2 plates. It's one of my few concessions as I hate taking them apart later (you can deflect the stack a little so it fits against the outer cup curve too). For the "1x2 Plates w/Vert. Arm" I used a modified ladder stack which made kind of a roundish lump that went into the center fill, but took them apart for the pic (like I did the brackets and 1x2 bricks as it looked funny). Of note though was that the 1x1bricks with handles filled the triangle gaps created by the brickstacks on the outer edge of the cup quite nicely.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby darksyntax » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:48 pm

Idle hands... make frames! :D (This is what happens when I watch tv with Lego within arms reach.)

I couldn't make multiples of these from what's in the cup, but these are entirely built from that parts pool meaning you could build a company of either of these from what's on the Lynnwood WA USA wall.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby Pippi Shortstack » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:10 pm

Allow me to second the thoughts of not only your cleverness in builds, but also a deep, abiding jealousy over the parts your LEGO store has on their wall.

That is just a lovely collection of walkers. The fact that you got stations (with flags!) out of it blows my mind. The chubby little quad and the humanoid frame you got out of them are super, as well! I love the way you curved the magazine in the frame's gun, too. :D
"Volkodav Industries DBE-02 Medved: If you absolutely, positively have to kill every motherhutcher on your lawn, accept no substitutes." -- M3tschenniy
Pippi Shortstack
Been Around The Block

Postby studless » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:10 am

they have black travis at my local store :twisted:

Didn't have a micro/mech/space/halo/alien/starcraft/star wars/WWII/LDD/brickarms/exo-force/mars mission description. :'(
studless
Chatty

Postby darksyntax » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:59 am

Pippi Shortstack wrote:That is just a lovely collection of walkers. The fact that you got stations (with flags!) out of it blows my mind. The chubby little quad and the humanoid frame you got out of them are super, as well! I love the way you curved the magazine in the frame's gun, too. :D

Thanks! That mag technique is pretty old trick in the AFoL mecha world. No idea who started it.

studless wrote:they have black travis at my local store :twisted:

My local HAD black travis bricks. 8-)
darksyntax
Mod Team

Return to Frame Designs