Single Set Challenge: 31014

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Single Set Challenge: 31014

Postby darksyntax » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:21 pm

Been wanting to take an Single Set Challenge shot at 31014 ever since I saw the first pics and parts list. All in all, it's pretty good for MFZ. With most sets, you're going to have some non-MFZ parts (wheels, propellers, minifigs) and small sets make the ratio worse, but Creator sets are usually better and this one's better than most not only for a SSC, but in general; plenty of 1x2 slopes, cheese, handle/clip plates, and some snot brackets.

On to the frames! With the parts count here (67 including extras), I really wanted to squeeze out a frame and station combo. Some ended up better than others.

Ninja Bird & Sentry Gun
I knew arms were going to be a challenge, so I skipped them and started on this with a Hi-Leg in mind... and it went in another direction. This is my fav of the three I've done (so far). Named for the Hooded Warbler cuz it looks like a fat little bird and the colors work. And the Hooded Warbler is aka the Ninja Bird and ninja's are cool.
d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6G d6B (twin guns, thruster, armor on the sides of the cockpit)

Hi-Leg(ish) & Generator
After the Ninja Bird, I went back to thinking about the Hi-Leg and manged this.
d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6Y (gun w/ high capacity magazine, sensor pod)

Tiburon & Crashed Shuttle
Not wanting to totally cop out on arms or a standard bi-ped design (after Riptor25 knocked out some great legs on his 31014 SSC) I pulled this one together. I like the legs even though they're completely non-articulated. The crashed shuttle is pretty bad, but I was low on parts and it does have a 4x4 base.
d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d6Y d6G (gun, skylifter, sensor pod)

A couple of weeks back in Riptor25's SSC post, I posited that set 31014 "might be THE entry level set for 2014". It's pretty good, but I found it lacking in a few key areas: guns bits (1x1 round bricks/cones, 4L bars, antennas), snot-bricks (there are 4 snot brackets, but I prefer bricks). Using the axle plates for guns got old, but there aren't many options. I've picked up sets 31017 and 31013 (available at Target for $10 and $5 respectively which are pretty good deals) and am looking forward to sitting down to SSC's for them.

C&C solicited as always.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Re: Single Set Challenge: 31014

Postby Riptor25 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:31 pm

Thanks for the mention :D I fiddled for a while with the set to see if I could pull off a mech with arms, but just couldn't get anything to look right. You managed to not only get good arms, but make them add to the overall look of the Tiburon. The simple yet easily distinguishable stations are very nice.

Compared to the other Creator sets of this season, this set still has my vote for the best entry-level set. I may try experimenting with the train and the helicopter, but I think this one has the perfect balance of joints and fiddly bits for some really great designs...that is, until those Mixel sets come out.

Also, the Warbler is darned near the cutest frame I've seen yet. Time to make a few!
A [Single-Set] Challenger has appeared!
"Use your head you can success. Price may discount, BUT enjoy never discount." The Boot-Lego guarantee.
Riptor25
Talkative

Postby DRevD » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:16 pm

I really like that box look of the ninja bird
DRevD
Been Around The Block

Postby Mark Sakura » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:01 am

So, I was goofing around with the Power Digger set and I came up with this.

I guess a stack of tires could work as a station. People need tires, right?

ImagePower Digger 1 by markwisski, on Flickr

ImagePower Digger 2 by markwisski, on Flickr
Runaway Urashima: A short novel set in the Mobile Frame Zero universe.

The Legend of the Red Specter: My first officially published novel, available on Amazon, or get your friendly neighborhood bookstore to order a copy.
Mark Sakura
Talkative

Postby The Hydromancer » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:52 am

Now I'm going to have to get this set! Looks great, and love the mulitple frames and stations you were able to build. Power Digger? More like Power Loader! Moah POWER!
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
Wears down the cliff tops, the mountains.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_hydromancer/
Master Chubdam Database
Master Solar Union/Federation Fleet Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Frame Designs