Single Set Challenge: 30240

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Single Set Challenge: 30240

Postby darksyntax » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:27 pm

The 30240 Z-95 Headhunter is pretty cool in its own right for a polybag model.
I wasn't sure about it's SSC worthiness, but picked one up to give it a go. $5 at TRU for 54pcs (61 w/ extras) so the price was good and the MFZ-ppm is pretty high.

It took some time to figure out what to do with the large wing pieces and while this set has 2 lampholders, 2 handles, 2 tileclips, and 2 neckbrackets it still felt light on SNOT pieces. This is a little fragile so it's not much of a gaming piece, but I like the shape.

Not sure about loadout here:
d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd (twin mini rail guns)
maybe...
d6G for the little 1x1 black round plates under the top 1x3 dkred tile? (jump jets)
d6B for the 3x 1x3 dkred tiles? (reactive armor)
d6Y for the black slope and silver round on the nose? (some kind of sensor dome)
darksyntax
Mod Team

Re: Single Set Challenge: 30240

Postby gusindor » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:26 pm

I'd give it the spotting and movement options. Having both a cockpit and the nose thing looks odd without the context of a sensor array, and the frame looks more fast than armored. This would make it an ideal frame for exploiting a vulnerable enemy, it could get in , deliver a heavy hit, light the target up for further bombardment, and get out again. Assuming everything goes according to plan. Which it won't :P

Visually, this is a really cool frame, although I can see what you mean about flimsiness. Let me guess, weak ankles? Those neck brackets don't make strong connections. You could try popping the feet off at the neck bracket, removing the neck brackets, bringing the black 2X1 plates forward and the clips to the back, and then attaching the feet by one stud at an angel to the ends of the legs, with the hinged panels as stabilizers. Or you could do that, but move the clip and hinge assembly to the hips instead, to give it a bit more legs splay.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Foghammer » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:42 pm

Oh my gosh, I picked up two of these the first time I saw them, and I built some stuff that was VERY similar to what you have here. EERIE. But that was before I knew this single set thing was a thing. Didn't get any pictures...

Anyway, awesome stuff! This is a nifty set for tiles, brackets, and bar plates.
Foghammer
Old Guard

Postby darksyntax » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:31 pm

gusindor wrote:Visually, this is a really cool frame, although I can see what you mean about flimsiness. Let me guess, weak ankles? Those neck brackets don't make strong connections. You could try popping the feet off at the neck bracket, removing the neck brackets, bringing the black 2X1 plates forward and the clips to the back, and then attaching the feet by one stud at an angel to the ends of the legs, with the hinged panels as stabilizers. Or you could do that, but move the clip and hinge assembly to the hips instead, to give it a bit more legs splay.

Thanks! Actually the weakest connection is the 1x6 plate to the 1x1 round brick at the hip. I'm not visualizing the recommendations; I'll have to play with it when I get home.

Foghammer wrote:I built some stuff that was VERY similar to what you have here. EERIE. But that was before I knew this single set thing was a thing. Didn't get any pictures...
Anyway, awesome stuff!

Too bad, I'd love to see what you did with this. As for SSC being a thing... I think it's really my thing. :roll: And thanks!
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby Foghammer » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:22 pm

darksyntax wrote:Too bad, I'd love to see what you did with this. As for SSC being a thing... I think it's really my thing. :roll: And thanks!

Well even if it wasn't you that started the "thing" you've certainly earned the right to call it yours. ;D
Foghammer
Old Guard

Postby Red_Robot » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:06 pm

I gotta say, DS, that I really like what you've been doing with these Single Set Challenges. I really like what you've done with this one in particular. I get a very Battletech vibe from it.

I feel that what you are doing with these SSCs is very much in the spirit of the C6 Project. It's showing us that even with limited resources, we can whip up some pretty cool little frames and introduce friends to a neat game.

And that's how the infection spreads...
When the Weepers first came through the gate, we didn't know why. We only knew that they were angry.
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Postby darksyntax » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:41 am

Red_Robot wrote:I gotta say, DS, that I really like what you've been doing with these Single Set Challenges. I really like what you've done with this one in particular. ... I feel that what you are doing with these SSCs is very much in the spirit of the C6 Project. It's showing us that even with limited resources, we can whip up some pretty cool little frames and introduce friends to a neat game.

Thanks, RR! I've really enjoyed both the SCCs and C6/ Speaking of which, I need to revisit C6 at some point...

Red_Robot wrote:I get a very Battletech vibe from it.

Yeah, I had the Vulture/Mad Dog in mind when I was working on the torso/body.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Return to Frame Designs