Ijad Sniper/Artillery Heavy Scrambler

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Ijad Sniper/Artillery Heavy Scrambler

Postby JSenek » Thu May 03, 2012 10:43 am

Long time lurker, first time poster. Please pardon the lack of a lightbox. Anyways, I'd like to present my first shot at customizing Soren's famous Ijad scrambler design.

ImageImageImage
Here is the basic sniper.The main gun is designed to accommodate either direct fire or artillery ammunition or both ( d6Rd d6Rd, d6Ra d6Ra, or d6Ra d6Rd ) and the whole unit is encased in a heavy layer of composite armor ( d6B ). The two side pods towards the rear are modular, capable of self-balancing, and come in a variety of ECM ( d6B ), generator ( d6G ), and sensor ( d6Y ) packages that commanders can mix and match according to their requirements.

ImageImageImageImage
Here's the heavy artillery variant. As the firing rate of the heavy scrambler is limited by barrel temperature, the addition of a second gun allows for twice the effective rate of fire ( d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra , d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd , or d6Ra d6Rd d6Ra d6Rd depending on ammo loadout). This configuration does require the support of a dedicated ammunition storage and feeder unit, but the other pod may still be selected from the standard options.

Here you can see a heavy artillery scrambler supported by a prototype spotter ( d6Y d6Y ) unit which is agile ( d6G ) and capable of laying prone to avoid fire ( d6B ). I'm not super fond of the aesthetics of this design and will probably scrap it.

Thank you for viewing my simple contributions. If I've made any errors or if you have any questions, please let me know.
JSenek
Newcomer

Re: Ijad Sniper/Artillery Heavy Scrambler

Postby Dukayn » Thu May 03, 2012 11:06 am

These are really nice.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby calculus » Thu May 03, 2012 11:10 am

Great!

I think I want some of these.
calculus
Talkative

Postby LowestFormOfWit » Thu May 03, 2012 12:27 pm

The basic sniper needs something else going on with it. The Artillery version looks solid, and is probably what the basic sniper one should've looked like. Maybe add a scanner or scope or antenna array or something? Something in that iconic trans-clear blue/green would do wonders.

Also, I love the use of those rounded pieces on the top part as well as the legs. Captures that Ijad style of smoothness.
LowestFormOfWit
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Wadmaasi » Thu May 03, 2012 12:44 pm

I'm curious as to what you dislike about the spotter; I think he looks pretty neat! What he needs, though, is a telescoping/folding/retractable boom of some sort for the spotting equipment. If he's laying low, and his LOS (yes, I know, LOS isn't a mechanical consideration) is lower than that of the gunners...how's he spotting anything?
Wadmaasi
Been Around The Block

Postby LowestFormOfWit » Thu May 03, 2012 1:09 pm

Wadmaasi wrote:I'm curious as to what you dislike about the spotter; I think he looks pretty neat! What he needs, though, is a telescoping/folding/retractable boom of some sort for the spotting equipment. If he's laying low, and his LOS (yes, I know, LOS isn't a mechanical consideration) is lower than that of the gunners...how's he spotting anything?

I don't dislike the spotter. I'm talking about the basic sniper. And I don't dislike it, I just think it needs another system on it, or some kind of power cell/antenna/scope/etc. on it to pull it all together. ;)
LowestFormOfWit
Grizzled Veteran

Postby JSenek » Thu May 03, 2012 1:45 pm

LowestFormOfWit wrote:
Wadmaasi wrote:I'm curious as to what you dislike about the spotter; I think he looks pretty neat! What he needs, though, is a telescoping/folding/retractable boom of some sort for the spotting equipment. If he's laying low, and his LOS (yes, I know, LOS isn't a mechanical consideration) is lower than that of the gunners...how's he spotting anything?

I don't dislike the spotter. I'm talking about the basic sniper. And I don't dislike it, I just think it needs another system on it, or some kind of power cell/antenna/scope/etc. on it to pull it all together. ;)

You're right about the sniper. I thought it was fine until I added a second barrel and realized it had been missing something all along. I tried adding a number of other things, but I couldn't quite find anything in my parts bin that kept the smooth, crab shell feel. I'm sure some of the imaginative folks here could have done better but I'll keep experimenting with it.

As for the spotter, you're right, it doesn't make much sense nor does it have a super smooth look to it. I think I mentioned that I'm not really thrilled about it.

Also, thank you all for the kind words!
JSenek
Newcomer

Postby The Trilobite » Thu May 03, 2012 1:51 pm

I love the sleek-yet-box, simple, plain unadorned look of these things. They are rockin' that black and white.
"What do you put on your head to see all this stuff?"
--Just one of many questions raised by Porcelain Llama Theater.

My Johari Window
The Trilobite
Grizzled Veteran

Postby goldenmeanie » Fri May 04, 2012 12:16 am

I like the sniper, but I'm a bit distracted by the awesome siding on your house! Green wood at a 45 degree angle, that is sweet!
goldenmeanie
Young Gun

Postby MittenNinja » Fri May 04, 2012 12:53 am

Totally dig these guys! I still have yet to really experiment with Ijad designs.
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby JSenek » Fri May 04, 2012 8:37 am

goldenmeanie wrote:I like the sniper, but I'm a bit distracted by the awesome siding on your house! Green wood at a 45 degree angle, that is sweet!

Haha, thanks, that's the main wall of our study/sun-room. It's pretty clearly an addition to the house which introduced some... quirks.
JSenek
Newcomer

Return to Frame Designs