WT-130 Rotten Egg

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

WT-130 Rotten Egg

Postby carbonbass » Thu May 03, 2012 3:42 am

I decided to try a different body design for the legs I made for my Hi-Leg. I went for a more ramshackle look than before, and tried to keep the basic build simple. No Travis bricks or Pneumatic Ts.

WI-130 "Rotten Egg" by Carbonbass, on Flickr

During the siege of Roanalth IV, Wilson Combat Technologies engineers had to start working with what little parts they had to repair and replace damaged Mobile Frames. Eventually they began replacing the Chub squadrons with the WI-130, dubbed the "Rotten Egg" and worse by the pilots riding it, the WI-130 is a sturdy frame, with limited mobility compared to the Chubs. Perfect for holding the line and bringing it's rider back to the hanger in one piece.

Last edited by carbonbass on Thu May 03, 2012 4:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You find two men having a fist fight over peaches, sell both of them a rock, then let them fight some more. After that, offer to sell one of them a rock tied to a stick, and see who will pay more." ~ Loyd Wilson - Wilson Industries.
carbonbass
Talkative

Re: WT-130 Rotten Egg

Postby randolph » Thu May 03, 2012 3:52 am

Note, you're using "WT" as a two-letter prefix in the post subject, but "WI" in the text. (I got confused into thinking someone else was making WangTech frames ;) )

I dig the arms and cockpit design!
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Dukayn » Thu May 03, 2012 4:03 am

That's really nice, man. Really nice. Although I think this:

carbonbass wrote:No Travis bricks or Pneumatic Ts.

Might be breaking some kind of Lego-mech-building law :P
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby carbonbass » Thu May 03, 2012 4:43 am

randolph wrote:Note, you're using "WT" as a two-letter prefix in the post subject, but "WI" in the text. (I got confused into thinking someone else was making WangTech frames ;) )

Sometimes I derp so hard I herp. Fixed that.

Dukayn wrote:That's really nice, man. Really nice. Although I think this:

carbonbass wrote:No Travis bricks or Pneumatic Ts.

Might be breaking some kind of Lego-mech-building law :P

I know, but I wanted to have the design philosophy match both the looks an the construction itself. Even the newer parts I've used could be easily substituted by older more common parts.

"You find two men having a fist fight over peaches, sell both of them a rock, then let them fight some more. After that, offer to sell one of them a rock tied to a stick, and see who will pay more." ~ Loyd Wilson - Wilson Industries.
carbonbass
Talkative

Postby randolph » Thu May 03, 2012 12:18 pm

Wow, I really like that last picture of the structure! It's got a great spare, utilitarian vibe.
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby LowestFormOfWit » Thu May 03, 2012 12:24 pm

While I always love builders to challenge themselves, and love that some of the frames made sans Travis/Pneumatic T's are friendly to my aging vintage collection, I really think the newer parts just plain out do a better job when it comes to hinges/joints on this scale. These legs, however, are probably one the top leg designs I've seen using these parts. I will definitely have to explore this design using my stuff!

Aside from the Taps + clips a la the Chub and Hi-Leg we all know, I love it. Tap x Clip drives me crazy for some reason. Whenever I do it, I can hear my own LEGOs telling me they shouldn't connect like that, ha!
LowestFormOfWit
Grizzled Veteran

Postby carbonbass » Thu May 03, 2012 2:06 pm

LowestFormOfWit wrote:Aside from the Taps + clips a la the Chub and Hi-Leg we all know, I love it. Tap x Clip drives me crazy for some reason. Whenever I do it, I can hear my own LEGOs telling me they shouldn't connect like that, ha!

On my smaller spotting frame I just connected the tap directly to the top of the leg joint instead of using a clip, that would also work for this frame, but the clip attachment give the more bulky look.
carbonbass
Talkative

Return to Frame Designs